PDA

View Full Version : Boo ! Hiss !!! Forum search facility is poorly implemented.

Raptor Ramjet
April 24th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Hello,

Sorry but I really hate the forums search facility. Having it appear as a drop down is simply awful. And if you want a good reason why I say this then just try using a right click to paste text into the drop down box. Guess what. As soon as you right click in an attempt to paste your text the search popup dissapears....

So I must ask what's so wrong with a simple text box to enter your search criteria ? Just about every other forum on the internet has this so why is the Ubuntu forum reinventing the wheel ?.... badly :(

Please fix this as it's really, REALLY annoyingly unusable.

Ubuntu on the other hand is simply excellent !

SGC
April 24th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Use this link to search the forum , the normal way:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php

Leif
April 24th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Do a right + left click at the same time, this will do a paste, and a quicker one than popping up a menu at that.

heimo
April 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Do a right + left click at the same time, this will do a paste, and a quicker one than popping up a menu at that.
Alternative for this is to middle-click.

Raptor Ramjet
April 25th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Well thanks for the advice and I know I can also left click in the text box then do either "Ctrl & V", "Ctrl & Ins" etc. etc. to paste the text in (and I don't have a middle mouse button on my trackball !)

But my point was, and still is, that I simply don't like the search facility being implemented as a drop down. As usual it's all a matter of personal choice but I think it's a bad piece of UI design. Personally I think drop down menus are fine for menus and that's about it.

Sorry, tried it... didn't like it... No sir I didn't like it at all :)

heimo
April 25th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I agree. I can live with drop down menu, but it's very essential part of this forum and its role should be emphasized. It should be as easy to use as possible and people should be encouraged to do searches. (too much redundant threads - probably even this search menu drop down issue has been dealt with in several different places ;)

I however do like the Quick Links drop down menu. There are meny selections, but with Search you only have the quick search and link to Advanced search.

Raptor Ramjet
April 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I completely agree about the "Quick Links" drop down - this to me is exactly the sort of thing that is well represented by using a drop down (after all it's a menu of choices from which you can select one, and only one, item)

But I also think search is best represented by a text box and button (perhaps with button options for going to another page for advanced search etc.) One thing I'm most insitent on is that it should be available from the page itself, not via a drop down.

After all the number of other places where this paradigm is used should also mean that less experienced users will be familiar with the idea.

So I vote that the current search drop down should go (not that I have a vote, and not that anyone would care if I had :))