PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Graphical Sudo

mo79
November 6th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, I don't know where else to put this.

One feaure I propose is maybe a menu option, say in Accessories, let's call it Root Mode. When clicked, you're asked for your root password and after this you've now enabled Root capabilities for 15mins (or a specified time), perhaps some icon could let you know you're in Root mode with time ticking down? So now you can carry out tasks like editing files only Root can, or other graphical able tasks only root can (of course, apart from those that already have password prompts).
Maybe I'm wrong (I'm still fairly new...) and someone will point out why a graphical Root Mode is as bad as Linspire's Root mode by default, but I think if not suggested before, it wouldn't be a bad idea. The average Win/Mac man is still a point clicker. That doesn't mean out with Terminal though.

I'm interested in hearing responses; if only to learn of my flaws. :mrgreen:

ciscosurfer
November 6th, 2006, 12:35 AM
You can accomplish this by issuing
gksudo nautilusin a terminal or clicking ALT-F2 and entering the command.

You can create a launcher that carries out this effect, place it on your desktop or the panel, add your favorite icon, et voila, graphical root access.

mo79
November 6th, 2006, 12:37 AM
You can accomplish this by issuing
gksudo nautilusin a terminal or clicking ALT-F2 and entering the command.

You can create a launcher that carries out this effect, place it on your desktop or the panel, add your favorite icon, et voila, graphical root access.

:-k Ah, nice. Thank you. I knew I couldn't have thunk this first.

23meg
November 6th, 2006, 12:38 AM
You may also be interested in this trick (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24008).

mo79
November 6th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Excellent! :)

You may also be interested in this trick (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24008).

Hemmer
November 6th, 2006, 12:50 AM
that is a seriously neat trick! :D

ciscosurfer
November 6th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Very nice, 23meg. Very nice.

23meg
November 7th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Glad you all found it useful; if interested in a Nautilus script that does the same, scan through the rest of that thread.