PDA

View Full Version : help! my kraut's going bad!!

trash
November 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Any saurekraut making experts here?
I've been trying to post for help on a sauerkraut making forum but the registration thingy isn't working so i'm taking my chances here.
here are the details of my batch and problem...

I have 10gallons on the go,
5gallons in an antique crock i bought, this batch was done oct 10 with spring water and iodizes sea salt, I only used iodized because i had trouble finding anything else! Covered with a plate and wieghted with a bowl of water with a castiron lid that sits just above the liquid inside the crock. A cloth covers the crock itself.
This batch is smelling fantastic!

My second batch(the problemed batch) is in a 5 gallon plastic pale, made with spring water and UNiodized sea salt, covered with a plate and wieghhted with a sterilized brick sealed inside an air tight plastic bag, also covered with a cloth.
This batch stinks like hell!! or at best now borderline good/bad. I skim it and add spring water/salt but I am not sure if it's going to recover, it's about 2 1/2 weeks old now but can it be saved and what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

catlett
November 5th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Cabbage ferments quickly at room temperature and will be ready to eat in two or three weeks. At cooler temperatures, fermentation is slower, but the kraut stays crunchier and may have better flavor. Also, sauerkraut will spoil more quickly if you donít keep it cool (if it turns dark brown, itís spoiled) so keep it in a cool place, such as a refrigerator or root cellar, unless you plan to can it or eat it all within a few weeks.
I guess check to see if it is brown. I thought maybe it was the noniodized salt but this recipe says to use noniodised salt.

I never made it myself but I am surprised to see that this recipe I found doesn't add water. It uses the cabbages own water to create the brine?

Sauerkraut Recipes
By Nathan Poell
Simple Sauerkraut

2 large heads of cabbage (about 5 pounds)
2 to 3 tbsp noniodized salt

Grate 1 cabbage and place in a crock or plastic bucket. Sprinkle half the salt over the cabbage. Grate the second cabbage, then add it to the crock along with the rest of the salt. Crush the mixture with your hands until liquid comes out of the cabbage freely. Place a plate on top of the cabbage, then a weight on top of the plate. Cover the container and check after 2 days. Scoop the scum off the top, repack and check every 3 days. After 2 weeks, sample the kraut to see if it tastes ready to eat. The flavor will continue to mature for the next several weeks. Canning or refrigerating the sauerkraut will extend its shelf life. Yields about 2 quarts.
Good luck. :-D

trash
November 5th, 2006, 08:27 PM
For some reason I always have to add a small amount of water, this isn't my first time doing it this way either BUT it is the first time i've tried UNiodized salt!(maybe never again lol)... i guess it could depend on how juicy the cabbage is to start with.
Well on a good note, the cabbage isn't brown yet! but the juice above the cabbage really does not smell as healthy as it should.

oh catlett, if you like kraut you really should give making it a try... way better than most store bought.
Thanks for the reply:)

catlett
November 5th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I'll have to try making it. My father's side is of Irish descent so I always loved boiled dinners with cabbage. When I got older I went to Jacob Wirth's Restaurant in town (it is a famous German restaurant/beer hall in Boston, been around a long time) and I tried sauerkraut because it had cabbage. I was pleasantly surprised by how much flavor it had. There is something about it that I just like.
Well good luck with the batches.

roderikk
November 5th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Sauerkraut is the best! :-) In dutch it is called 'zuurkool'. I have no idea of how to make it, but good luck with your batch!

trash
November 5th, 2006, 09:14 PM
the first time I ever made it was a success and really impressed my old world German Omi(grandma), who used to make it in barrels when she was young... she was the one who got to be inside the barrel... the lucky kid! lol.
There are a few different ways of doing it, one way is in jars so you do smaller quantities, certainly worth a try.

funny, rediculous story of my fondness for cabbage....
Driving home from New York after seeing the Smiths in concert(awesome), I fell asleep at the wheel just long enough to hit the gravel at the side of the highway which woke me up. That 5-10 seconds was enough time for me to have a very detailed dream that somehow involved a very successful business venture installing cabbage vending machines around the world...:???:

Lord Illidan
November 5th, 2006, 09:26 PM
*ponders whether it is wise to start pestering admins for a "Food and Recipes" extension to the cafe*

Ah, well Ubuntu Forums can help anyone, anytime, no?

roderikk
November 5th, 2006, 10:38 PM
the first time I ever made it was a success and really impressed my old world German Omi(grandma), who used to make it in barrels when she was young... she was the one who got to be inside the barrel... the lucky kid! lol.
There are a few different ways of doing it, one way is in jars so you do smaller quantities, certainly worth a try.

funny, rediculous story of my fondness for cabbage....
Driving home from New York after seeing the Smiths in concert(awesome), I fell asleep at the wheel just long enough to hit the gravel at the side of the highway which woke me up. That 5-10 seconds was enough time for me to have a very detailed dream that somehow involved a very successful business venture installing cabbage vending machines around the world...:???:
Wow, I've had some weird dreams 'in my time', but this one sounds absolutely crazy! :-D

Hm, sauerkraut instead of cola, who knows, it might actually work ;-).

MedivhX
November 5th, 2006, 10:41 PM
What is sauerkraut???:-? :-? :-? ](*,)

roderikk
November 5th, 2006, 10:43 PM
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut :

Sauerkraut is finely sliced white cabbage fermented by various lactic acid bacteria including Leuconostoc, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus. It has good keeping qualities and a distinctive sour flavor that both result from lactic acid, which forms when the bacteria ferment sugars in the fresh cabbage. The word comes directly from the German Sauerkraut, which literally translates to sour cabbage.

Sounds good, doesn't it...? :-)

Lord Illidan
November 5th, 2006, 10:44 PM

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut)

roderikk
November 5th, 2006, 10:47 PM
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut)
To stay in the same trend...:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/great_minds_think_alike

:-D

trash
November 5th, 2006, 11:49 PM
LOL, good thing you can't smell this second batch! #-o

xhaan
November 5th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Wow, I've had some weird dreams 'in my time', but this one sounds absolutely crazy! :-D

Hm, sauerkraut instead of cola, who knows, it might actually work ;-).

Might work in Japan (if they haven't done it already!)
Seems like they have a vending machine for just about everything.