PDA

View Full Version : Buying Dell laptops without Windows (UK)

Paul_UK
November 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Has anyone in the UK managed to buy a PC from Dell without Windows XP (other than in Dell Outlet)? We want to get two new Dell Inspiron XPS M1710 laptop PCs for Ubuntu Linux only.

I have seen a few PCs in Dell Outlet with just FreeDOS but presumably these are corporate returns as there is no option for anything other than Windows in the normal ordering options.

Thanks!

Klaidas
November 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Why not just install linux after you buy it? :)

Paul_UK
November 5th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Partly out of principle, and party becuse I would still have to pay for the Windows license that I will not be using.

kalle314
November 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I read that you can have all Dell laptops without windows, you just have to phone Dell. You can not get it windows-free without making a phonecall.

That's how its supposed to be in Sweden at the moment anyway. I asked at a Swedish forum, and a guy had got a discount of about 500 crowns (1 is about 9 SKR) for choosing to not get windows.

happy-and-lost
November 5th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Why would you want a Dell laptop?

They're poorly built. My screen has to be propped up or it falls over one way or the other, and it's less than a year old :(

Old Pink
November 5th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Why would you want a Dell laptop?

They're poorly built. My screen has to be propped up or it falls over one way or the other, and it's less than a year old :(

You're basing the "poorly built" statement on one experience? And if it's less than a year old, it's still under warranty for a replacement screen or even a replacement laptop, if required.

happy-and-lost
November 5th, 2006, 05:46 PM
My friend's I6000 has been in for service 3 times in the past year, the CD drawer keeps getting stuck on my D4600... Go for an Acer if you want good build quality and a low price