PDA

View Full Version : Help! SMTP is Blocked!

batonac
November 5th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Hi everyone!

I've installed Ubuntu CE on almost every computer in our Christian School. The distro is really awesome! :KS I only have one problem. Whenever a teacher tries to send mail with an email client (i've tried evolution and thunderbird) the connection always times out when trying to contact the smtp server. ](*,) The only diference I could find from when it did work to now when it doesn't is the presence of squid and dansguardian in ubuntu ce. Can somebody please help me fix this problem so our teachers can write email again?!? --thanks

tonhou
November 5th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Yes, you are right!
We are finding more areas that the firewall "firehol" is blocking that we need to free up.

Need to edit the file by typing in as below:

sudo gedit /etc/firehol/firehol.conf

and then add:
server smtp accept

then restart the firewall

/etc/init.d/firehol restart

Hopefully that will resolve it!

--Tony

mips
November 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM
UbuntuCE has it's own forum, http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168

mhancoc7
November 5th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Yes, you are right!
We are finding more areas that the firewall "firehol" is blocking that we need to free up.

Need to edit the file by typing in as below:

sudo gedit /etc/firehol/firehol.conf

and then add:
server smtp accept

then restart the firewall

/etc/init.d/firehol restart

Hopefully that will resolve it!

--Tony

I am very interested in the solution to this one. I am going to be releasing v1.5 very soon. It would be easy to make some changes to the firehol conf before the release. Please let me know if this works. :)

God Bless, Jereme

Mardon
November 6th, 2006, 08:42 PM
:D I did a complete uninstall of dansguardian it works great. Thanks for your help. God Bless, Mark

Mardon
November 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
](*,) I forgot also Firehol

mhancoc7
November 7th, 2006, 12:13 AM
:D I did a complete uninstall of dansguardian it works great. Thanks for your help. God Bless, Mark

Hopefully we can find a solution that does not require you to remove the content filtering. I am glad to hear that you got it going though.
God Bless, Jereme

tonhou
November 7th, 2006, 06:04 AM
I did a complete uninstall of dansguardian it works great. Thanks for your help.

I don't quite understand - what was your original problem?

--Tony

tonhou
November 7th, 2006, 06:44 AM
The only diference I could find from when it did work to now when it doesn't is the presence of squid and dansguardian in ubuntu ce

Hopefully you don't have squid installed! It definitely is not included with the standard Ubuntu CE install.

--Tony

Mardon
November 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I don't quite understand - what was your original problem?

--Tony

The reason was it blocked some sites that I wanted to see, it blocked some pages in Firefox and Opera, I don't want it telling me what I can or can't do . Being new to Ubuntu I didn't know how or if I could configure it or not?](*,) God Bless, Mark