PDA

View Full Version : Formatting error in changelog - where though?

jamyskis
November 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM
I've been trying to create Ubuntu packages for my games, but I'm stuck on following the tutorial at http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/packagingguide/C/basic-scratch.html#id2566115.

I've followed it exactly but when I go to create the debian package it returns with the error:

parsechangelog/debian: error: badly formatted heading line, at file debian/changelog line 9
dpkg-buildpackage: unable to determine source package is

The changelog file in question is:

naughts-and-crosses (0.8-0ubuntu1) edgy; urgency=low

* Added new graphics engine, with the possibility of replacing the graphics, perhaps themes later on when level system is implemented. This includes proper graphics (256 colour) for the board and a centered board.
* Changed resolution to 800x600, to allow for higher resolution graphics.
* Made it possible to change the colour of the text when entering it as a parameter to the function.
* Fixed bug whereby cursor colour was inconsistent when typing.
* Further AI optimisations.

-- Darryl Lecount <darryl@jamyskis.net> Thu, 2 Nov 2006 00:04:01 +0100

As far as I see there is nothing wrong with the formatting, but it insists there is. Am I missing something here? Thanks!

Jimmy_r
November 19th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I am having the same problem...

Jimmy_r
November 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM
My brain is...hurting...Bwahahahaha =P~ :-& :lol: =P~ :-& :cry: :confused:

Sorry, i need a break. Have been coding all day, and now trying to learn this...

mssever
November 20th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I've been trying to create Ubuntu packages for my games, but I'm stuck on following the tutorial at http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/packagingguide/C/basic-scratch.html#id2566115.

I've followed it exactly but when I go to create the debian package it returns with the error:

parsechangelog/debian: error: badly formatted heading line, at file debian/changelog line 9
dpkg-buildpackage: unable to determine source package is
The changelog file in question is:

1. naughts-and-crosses (0.8-0ubuntu1) edgy; urgency=low
3. * Added new graphics engine, with the possibility of replacing the graphics, perhaps themes later on when level system is implemented. This includes proper graphics (256 colour) for the board and a centered board.
4. * Changed resolution to 800x600, to allow for higher resolution graphics.
5. * Made it possible to change the colour of the text when entering it as a parameter to the function.
6. * Fixed bug whereby cursor colour was inconsistent when typing.
7. * Further AI optimisations.
9. -- Darryl Lecount <darryl@jamyskis.net> Thu, 2 Nov 2006 00:04:01 +0100
As far as I see there is nothing wrong with the formatting, but it insists there is. Am I missing something here? Thanks!
Line 9 has to be indented, I believe. AFAIK the only line that begins in column 1 is the package name line. This is how apt distinguishes between entries.

Jimmy_r
November 22nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
Then the guide at http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/packagingguide/C/basic-scratch.html#id2566115 has an error:

Here is a sample changelog file for hello:

hello (2.1.1-1) edgy; urgency=low

* New upstream release with lots of bug fixes.

-- Captain Packager <packager@coolness.com> Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:38:49 -0700

LaserJock
November 24th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Then the guide at http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/packagingguide/C/basic-scratch.html#id2566115 has an error:

Yep, that's not right. Thanks for catching that. I've fixed it in svn.

-LaserJock

jamyskis
December 1st, 2006, 10:53 PM
That's great guys - thanks for the help. A few things it might be worth mentioning in the wiki:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html is a good resource
Trailer line should be indented with *one space only*.
It could be worth emphasising that the "rules" file should have the executable flag set. I only noticed that subtle note in the document after having googled for 20 minutes.
Blank lines in the description of the control field are to be displayed as " ." and not just be left as a blank line.

jamyskis
December 6th, 2006, 09:26 PM
OK, I've decided to scrap packaging from scratch and try using Debhelper, but I'm having not much better luck.

I've unpacked the archive, run dh_make on it, created a source package with debuild -S and (attempted to) create a binary package using pbuilder.

The problems are as follows:

My game depends on liballegro4.2, but if I try to include this in the control file, pbuilder kicks up as it can't find it in the pbuilder environment.

Just ignoring the liballegro4.2 dependency and leaving it out of the control file, I can't find the source or binary debian files, only the orig.tar.gz, diff.gz and dsc files.

Can anyone help?

mssever
December 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM
OK, I've decided to scrap packaging from scratch and try using Debhelper, but I'm having not much better luck.

I've unpacked the archive, run dh_make on it, created a source package with debuild -S and (attempted to) create a binary package using pbuilder.

The problems are as follows:

My game depends on liballegro4.2, but if I try to include this in the control file, pbuilder kicks up as it can't find it in the pbuilder environment.

Just ignoring the liballegro4.2 dependency and leaving it out of the control file, I can't find the source or binary debian files, only the orig.tar.gz, diff.gz and dsc files.

Can anyone help?

I've found this thread to be really useful when it comes to pbuilder: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=206382. There's a section on pbuilder hooks that allow you to include dependencies that pbuilder can't otherwise find. Also, pbuilder puts the resulting deb in its results directory, which you can configure.

By the way, Debian source packages are actually three files: the orig.tar.gz, the diff.gz, and the dsc file.

jamyskis
December 10th, 2006, 08:58 PM
That's great - thanks for the help. I still can't get it to work - I've even installed liballegro4.2 and liballegro4.2-dev within the pbuilder environment manually (it found them so the hook config was fine) and it still came up with missing headers while compiling the binary package.

I think I'm going to have to give up on this and let someone else do the debian packaging for my games.

LaserJock
December 18th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I don't have time to go through all the issues right now but I'd encourage everybody to try to get on IRC (irc.ubuntu.com is the server) and join #ubuntu-motu . That's where the Universe maintainers hang out and teach people to package.

It looks like one problem may be that you might not have the Universe repo in the pbuilder's sources.list .

-LaserJock