PDA

View Full Version : In which forum do Macintel issues belong?

hajk
October 30th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Just noticed that one of the Forum chiefs has moved a thread on installing Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro from the Apple subforum to Hardware and Laptops. If the Apple subforum is going to be exclusively for PPC computers, then I know a few more threads that need to be moved similarly... And what about Macintel hardware that isn't laptop, like recent iMacs and Mac Pros? What subforum are they going to be banned to?

I doubt that this is the right thing to do: installing Ubuntu on a Macintel machine is sufficiently special that it warrants its own subforum in that case. This holds the more where a dwindling number of older PPC machines are getting special treatment this way.

So my request: provide a separate Macintel subforum.

frodon
October 30th, 2006, 09:11 PM
General support is the correct section since you run the x86 install on them you have the same issues and worarounds than other x86 users.
So there's no need of a sub-forum because it's the same thing than a standard computer.

hajk
October 30th, 2006, 09:34 PM
General support is the correct section since you run the x86 install on them you have the same issues and worarounds than other x86 users.
So there's no need of a sub-forum because it's the same thing than a standard computer.

What nonsense you speak! Obviously, you've never worked with a Macintel machine, so why should your opinion on this carry any weight?
But I'm looking forward to hear from one of your colleagues who's more knowledgeable on the issues surrounding Macintel machines.

ubuntuman001
October 30th, 2006, 09:40 PM
What nonsense you speak! Obviously, you've never worked with a Macintel machine, so why should your opinion on this carry any weight?
But I'm looking forward to hear from one of your colleagues who's more knowledgeable on the issues surrounding Macintel machines.are you kidding me about your tone in this post? do you know who you're talking to?

explain how macintels are any different than regular x86 machines. name one thing (oh and...don't say the eye-candy's better...)

hajk
October 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM
are you kidding me about your tone in this post? do you know who you're talking to?

explain how macintels are any different than regular x86 machines. name one thing (oh and...don't say the eye-candy's better...)

Just being exasperated by people in charge pronouncing on things that they do not know... and I don't really care whether that person is famous or not.
About Macintel being different (from a PC): 1. The HD partitioning issue (Apple uses EFI instead of BIOS); 2. the problem with GRUB not working; 3. dealing with the Apple keyboard; 4. dealing with the Airport wireless. And the Parallels VM has special issues with the kernel clock/timer, among other things.

PriceChild
October 30th, 2006, 10:11 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=133 is named "Apple PPC users". It is for the PPC arch.

Users of MacIntel are using an x86 system, and therefore fall under the "General" Category seen as they run the standard install cd.

There has been a discussion on this, and it was finalised by ubuntu-geek:

The reason its setup the way it is, is because intel mac users use the regular x86 installation disc. They can get support like any other user via the provided forums. Apple PPC, Sun, x86 64 users use different install discs.

hajk
October 30th, 2006, 10:34 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=133 is named "Apple PPC users". It is for the PPC arch.

Users of MacIntel are using an x86 system, and therefore fall under the "General" Category seen as they run the standard install cd.

There has been a discussion on this, and it was finalised by ubuntu-geek:

1. It would be better to say that it has just recently been renamed exclusively for the PPC arch. Just a week or so ago it still mentioned Macintel, so Macintel users are really being expelled.

2. The standard x86 install CD will not run on Macintel hardware unless there are extensive preparations done on the HD partitioning (because of EFI and GPT), and even then the installer may not complete the job because of problems with GRUB.

About those discussions and the finalisation you mention: undemocratic and uninformed IMHO.

PriceChild
October 30th, 2006, 10:40 PM
2. The standard x86 install CD will not run on Macintel hardware unless there are extensive preparations done on the HD partitioning (because of EFI and GPT), and even then the installer may not complete the job because of problems with GRUB.So yes the x86 will work on Macintel.

The admins have no intent of making a separate macintel subforum

*Thread closed*