PDA

View Full Version : Forum Usability

TwoSeven
October 28th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Sorry if this is a double post - my previous one seems to have been deleted due to the forum not being tested for use with cookies turned off.

The question I made was what official usability/workflow standard was used in creating this forum. I'm assuming none at the moment as its currently ranking as one of the worst I've ever seen (for usability/workflow that is, not for whizzy looking graphics).

What were the accessibility standards that were used ? I.e. Who chose brown text that you have to move the mouse over to find out if its a hyperlink or not - why couldnt an existing metaphor have been used (like underlining links).

For a non-computer geek what does 'User CP' actually mean. I know its forumeese, but to a 60 year old newbie who thinks the browser is a thing called the internet' - what does it mean.

Why is there a tags field - why not just auto tag the title text. If I'm an 80 year old user with partial cateracts who finds it hard to see the screen and has a short memory (typical old person) - what does the tags field do and whats that annoying message that wont let me post anything when I dont fill the field in (and I dont want to).

You can probably see where I am going with this. To use some text from the jabawok. This forum is "brillig and fabjously beamish" but hard to use and understand.

In my day (shows how old I am) we had the CUA (common user access) standards, where people would use a consistent metaphor across applications (some people may remember what it was like before that standard). Consistent metaphors and obvious workflows and low cognetive loading - oh coolah callay wonderful days they were.

Just thought I'd provide some feedback. Examples provided were accidentily deleted in my previous post. Nadgers to typing them back in again.

cheers
TwoSeven.

aysiu
October 28th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Moved to the appropriate forum.

AdoptAPet
November 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM
Just guessing, but I the "User CP," may mean something like 'configured profile', for when I clicked on that link, I found myself in the section which allows changes to one's profile.

And, as an added encouragement to any forum-developers or designer, I really appreciate the continual effort toward usability and ease of finding the specific area of interest.

argie
November 1st, 2006, 04:44 PM
Well, as far as I know, you shouldn't compulsorily have to fill in the Tags field. Why not just insert an (optional) text next to it?

Haha, User CP indeed. That was always a funny name.

matthew
November 1st, 2006, 07:20 PM
Just guessing, but I the "User CP," may mean something like 'configured profile'
FYI... "User Control Panel" :)

TwoSeven
November 2nd, 2006, 09:29 AM
ok, now imagin you dont know much about computers and someone is telling you over the phone to go change your user profile. Thats what usability is all about :)