PDA

View Full Version : Forum Suggestion: Sticky in Absolute Beginner full of commands

JoeNobody
October 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I am a newbie along with many others, infact right now I am wiping out my XP laptop for Ubuntu. *crossing fingers*.

Anyway, I would like to make a suggestion for this 'Absolute Beginner Talk', have a sticky thread that contains commands. I see scattered all through the posts codes for hardware profiles, ethernet checks, automatix commands....

lets get them all in one sticky thread that is just for that. Not for questions, just posts on commands to help the newbies.

Something like -

If you have issues with your ethernet card try these:
Check hardware profile : lspci -v
List interfaces : sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

That would be a post. Then hopefully cut down on many, many repetative posts on the same question, we can scan this thread for tips and suggestions first before we post.

Good idea, no?

Joe

compmodder26
October 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I agree with that.

Ionix
October 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Well I notice the forum is getting quite laggy, and refreshing takes quite long. Maybe we gather the ubuntu experts to write a manual on wikipedia? Well just a suggestion *lol

Mimsy
October 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Seconded. That would be very helpful.

/Mimsy

bulldog
October 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Maybe PM the topic to a moderator?

mawaru
October 27th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I am a newbie along with many others, infact right now I am wiping out my XP laptop for Ubuntu. *crossing fingers*.

Anyway, I would like to make a suggestion for this 'Absolute Beginner Talk', have a sticky thread that contains commands. I see scattered all through the posts codes for hardware profiles, ethernet checks, automatix commands....

lets get them all in one sticky thread that is just for that. Not for questions, just posts on commands to help the newbies.

Something like -

If you have issues with your ethernet card try these:
Check hardware profile : lspci -v
List interfaces : sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

That would be a post. Then hopefully cut down on many, many repetative posts on the same question, we can scan this thread for tips and suggestions first before we post.

Good idea, no?

Joe

I agree with Joe also, but I think we can also - as noobs - take note of the problems we're seeing and how we resolved them. The maybe a moderator can sticky these notes.

Bartender
October 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM
A suggestion that kinda goes with this, but more of a self-help thing - start your own list in abiword, and keep it handy right on your desktops. Anytime you see a good terminal command, copy/paste it into your list, along with a short description of what it does. Maybe write the description in italics, so you can tell at a glance what's what. Within a few weeks or months there should be some good lists. Get a few of those lists together, someone goes thru to weed out the repeats, we might have something

JoeNobody
October 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I keep my own list anyway, but if i have something new come up, as with others, it would not be in my list and be easier to know to go to a central post or even better Wiki to begin my search.

Ionix
October 27th, 2006, 03:47 PM
PM a moderator seems to be overboard... PEstering seems a bit rude...?

JoeNobody
October 27th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Its clear users are annoyed. I offered a suggestion. Mods can read it or not and decide what to do. Its not rude to offer improvements. Better to keep users coming back than not...

punx45
October 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
A suggestion that kinda goes with this, but more of a self-help thing - start your own list in abiword, and keep it handy right on your desktops. Anytime you see a good terminal command, copy/paste it into your list, along with a short description of what it does. Maybe write the description in italics, so you can tell at a glance what's what. Within a few weeks or months there should be some good lists. Get a few of those lists together, someone goes thru to weed out the repeats, we might have something

don't accidentally run the list as a script! haha.

bulldog
October 27th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Its clear users are annoyed. I offered a suggestion. Mods can read it or not and decide what to do. Its not rude to offer improvements. Better to keep users coming back than not...

Well on the other hand..............all the help that's given on the forums is done by volunteers........what if they become annoyed??

Ubuntu has a very active community which depends on helpfull people,but you can't expect every question is answered in five minutes.

You have to wait sometimes and sometimes you won't get an answer.
So be it.

PriceChild
October 27th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure i like this idea...

I would much prefer users to try searching first. Most initial issues have been covered a hundred times already.

Generally, i search wiki.ubuntu.com then ubuntuforums.org, then google in that order.

If i can't find a solution anywhere, I post pleaing for help :)

The sticky created would be absolutely HUGE if everyone got their code added.

How would it work? each person posts their own post with suggestions? the OP edits their post with suggestions received with pm?
PM a moderator seems to be overboard... PEstering seems a bit rude...?Long as you only pm once.... we don't mind :) Despite the 3000 users online atm i've not got much to do...

JoeNobody
October 27th, 2006, 08:12 PM
If moderators are volunteers and they get annoyed trying to moderate any tech site.... they shouldn't be moderators.

aysiu
October 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM
The sticky created would be absolutely HUGE if everyone got their code added. I agree with PriceChild. The idea sounds great at first, but if you take a look at the Ubuntu Guide (http://www.ubuntuguide.org), for example, you'll see having all the popular commands takes up more space than you can put in one post... and having them spread throughout a thread would be very difficult for a new user to navigate through.

What's wrong with the current new user sticky?
READ THIS FIRST prior to posting - IMPORTANT links (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=232059)

PriceChild
October 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM
If moderators are volunteers and they get annoyed trying to moderate any tech site.... they shouldn't be moderators.There are 3000 users online on this forum at the moment.

3 THOUSAND!

That's a lot to moderate.

Moderators are people just like you, but with extra buttons to press.

We help organise the forum and keep things civil. It takes enough effort to just do that, nevermind giving advice to users who need help. Now you want us to scour the forums and choose then merge information which could easily be found already by searching, reading existing stickies or ubuntuguide.org?

We're just volounteers...

John.Michael.Kane
October 27th, 2006, 08:29 PM
The time it took to start this thread you could have.

1) posted your problem got helped

2) Filed a bug report on launchpad

3) Jumped on irc #ubuntu and asked for help

4) searched the forum found a answer.

5) bumped your own or someone else's thread who needed help

Downloading a Free OS does not entitle you to Free-Full Time 24/7 support.

Metacarpal
October 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Really, I'm not sure how much help this would be. One reason is, no matter how many stickies are up there, and no matter how much good information is in them, people still post the exact same question without reading the sticky first.

Second, rather than having to wade through an ocean of commands on a sticky trying to find something to help you, a search of the forum will likely yield faster and more specific results.

And lastly, having access to the code doesn't always equal knowing what to do with it. Some of the codes (like lspci) spew a lot of data onto the screen, but without any indication as to what any of it means. Unless you have either some previous computer and/or Linux knowledge, or a helpful boardie to translate, you'll just be staring at what amounts to several pages of gobbledygook.

There are already a wealth of resources online listing pretty every Linux command. But sometimes it's not the size of your command-line vocabulary; it's how you use it. Searching for an existing thread on a specific problem will give you a better idea of how to use these tools on your machine.

Fully216
October 27th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Agreed, having a free OS means you have to be willing to try new things out, seach for answers and be willing to live with a little experimentation before problems become resolved.

For basic bash commands you can also go here

http://www.ss64.com/bash/

otherwise, I would stick with the search function. I often find a solution to a post just by searching the forum myself. It is amazing how many people do not do that before they post. I sometimes find myself wishing they had read the following. http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I like the suggestion though, although just too difficult for volunteers to make a reality.

bulldog
October 27th, 2006, 10:08 PM
If moderators are volunteers and they get annoyed trying to moderate any tech site.... they shouldn't be moderators.

Didn't talk about moderators............the answers you get mostly from other Ubuntu users.

You see too much the same questions coming around,which indicates there is no search done.

I go with PriceChild......do a little research yourself and if you can't find an answer then post it on the forums..........don't expect somebody else do the search for you.

max.diems
October 27th, 2006, 10:15 PM
The time it took to start this thread you could have.
{LIST REMOVED}

You could have done any of those in the time it took to post your reply, of course (as I could in the time for my reply).

aysiu
October 27th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I would really be surprised to find a new user who finds a thread full of 3000 commands more helpful than a search for the answer to a specific problem or a thread full of good links (which is already stickied).

By the way, as much as I believe in newcomers (or even old-timers) searching, sometimes people find bad advice through online searches. It's much better to get it from the horse's mouth. For example, when I first did a dual-boot, a guide I found through a search had me doing all sorts of back flips with editing the boot.ini file and such.

If I'd asked, someone probably would have told me, "Just install Grub to the MBR and Windows will automatically be added to the boot menu."

PriceChild
October 27th, 2006, 10:21 PM
You could have done any of those in the time it took to post your reply, of course (as I could in the time for my reply).We're not complaining though. You want us to do the work.

John.Michael.Kane
October 27th, 2006, 10:48 PM
max.diems Bottom line If any member sat here on this forum 24/7 answering post you would still have complaints.

max.diems you take issue with what i have posted thats on you facts are facts,and when you been here long enough or on any forum with repeat question threads ect no one wanting search.job bob new user wanting use edgy,and not knowing what heck he/she is doing then complaining my system is broke xorg crashed Waaa Waaa. Yet to ask that user to search the forums would classed as rude so you as a member are expected by those who post to hold their hand,and do it for them.Your telling me you would not be the lesast upset.

This why you have those forums that give new users the old rtfm,and leave them to figure it out.

Most who post on these forums want an answer in 20seconds or less if not you end up with more Waaa Waaa Linux is not ready this that and the next.

Every question is answered as timely as humanly possible if this is not efficient enough.

Here are your options:

Pony up the $$ for paid suport.

Or

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

aysiu
October 27th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I think the forums offer better support than some of the paid support I've gotten from vendors I deal with at work.

You shouldn't expect free support to be good, but it does happen to be pretty good here.