PDA

View Full Version : Running Bible Works on Ubuntu

amiga_os
October 26th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Hello!

I can't say I'm an Ubuntu CE user. Mostly because I've only been an Ubuntu user for a few months. I do use BibleWorks 6. And I'm currently running it in Dapper using Wine. It's installed under a Windows partition, so I run it straight from there.

I do that because I haven't been able to get it to install. Running the installer under Wine always hangs on 100% ](*,) because of some 'network' thing (I can't now remember exactly).

I wondered if anyone else had managed to install Bible Works straight onto Ubuntu... I looked on the Wine compatibility list, and I was the only contributor.

mysticrider92
October 29th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I have noticed that wine has a lot of problems with installing and running things. I have only gotten one thing to install under it so far. Unless there is something you want or need in Bible Works, you could try GnomeSword (part of Ubuntu CE) or Bible Time (availible in Ichthux and probably Synaptic), they are both for Linux, so they will work much better in Ubuntu.

shane2peru
October 29th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Gnomesword and Bibletime are ok, however if you are used to using something better, you probably will not be impressed by them. If you can't get Bible Works to work under wine try downloading E-Sword available at www.e-sword.net and installing it under wine. It is a very sharp program. For me it runs a little too slow under wine, but it still a very good program. One other option I have installed The Word - available at www.theword.gr It also runs under wine, and runs much smoother, however it is lacking the extra study aids. Version 3 will include more study aids, but I have not been able to install version 3 beta via wine, I keep getting errors about glx or something. It has to do with visual settings. The Word does run much faster though. That is my 2 cents worth.

Shane

wickedos3
November 1st, 2006, 04:03 AM
Has anyone tried running Win4Lin under ubuntu? I have heard it is like wine in that in runs and emulates windows in linux but have not seen or tested it... UBUNTU ROCKS!

mhancoc7
November 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Has anyone tried running Win4Lin under ubuntu? I have heard it is like wine in that in runs and emulates windows in linux but have not seen or tested it... UBUNTU ROCKS!

Yes, I have tried Win4Lin pro under Ubuntu and it was nice. The only drawback to me was that there wasn't a fullscreen mode. I prefer to use Vmware. You can download Vmware server from free and create a windows virtual machine. I use it for my testing and such.

God Bless, Jereme

amiga_os
November 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

But none of those solutions are really ideal. I'm still running BibleWorks in wine from a Windows XP installation. Later this week, I'm going to try and manually copy over all the BibleWorks files from my Windows partition and see if they run from my wine c virtual folder.

BibleWorks works fine in wine... it's just the installer. I've continued submitting bug reports to winehq.

If you are learning Greek - I am a full time church worker - then BibleWorks is simply AWESOME... I haven't found any software like it. If anyone knows of some open source software that allows you to search for a particular grammatical expression in the Greek, of almost infinite complexity... let me know!

thathatman
November 8th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

But none of those solutions are really ideal. I'm still running BibleWorks in wine from a Windows XP installation. Later this week, I'm going to try and manually copy over all the BibleWorks files from my Windows partition and see if they run from my wine c virtual folder.

BibleWorks works fine in wine... it's just the installer. I've continued submitting bug reports to winehq.

If you are learning Greek - I am a full time church worker - then BibleWorks is simply AWESOME... I haven't found any software like it. If anyone knows of some open source software that allows you to search for a particular grammatical expression in the Greek, of almost infinite complexity... let me know!

Being a Seminary student who cannot afford Bibleworks (even at the student price of $250), I have found some other ways you can get advanced grammatical analysis.
The first is the Interlinear Scripture Analyzer, www.scripture4all.org. It installs and runs perfectly under wine. It has a few problems:

Greek uncials (capitals) only
No breathing/accent marks
Uses old KJV-Strongs translations
Unvocalized Hebrew text

However, it does parse all of your words perfectly and give at least a ballpark word for the meaning. Having already taken quite a bit of Greek, it gives me enough cheats to deal with pesky participles and infinitives.

I balance that with my Reader's Greek NT (which gives glosses for words that appear less than 500 times), Zerwick's Grammatical Analysis (a great little cheat book) and a quick draw on the BDAG lexicon. When I am doing a syntactical display and I want to copy/paste the greek text, I go to greekbible.com and copy it from there. Honestly, about 95% of the time all I need is the ISA.

As far as Hebrew goes... ISA has it, but I find it too difficult to read an unvocalized text.

Hope this helps!

silvagroup
November 12th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Haven't tried Bible Works.
E-sword with wine is great. Runs faster than native. I use it because it's quick search engine. The install is quick and easy, except for the library files. They need to be extracted, you can not install them with wine. I've posted a howto in the wine appdb site. They come with some weird installer. Have tried contacting the author several times asking for at least the libraries in zip or tar formats but no response. Maybe some input from the rest of the *nix users would help.
Win4lin is a must, at least for me.:KS
I use Logos, Gramcord, and ISA (freeware) all these are windows only, wine can not handle them at all. Well haven't tried installing ISA under wine yet.
I also use it for Adobe Professional and a few other windows only programs. There is a very minimal performance loss and if I upgraded my ram that probably wouldn't even there, but it's so minimal I'll save my money for other things. You can do a 15 day free trial so check it out. Setting it to full screen is easy it's all in the user manual. I run it at 800x600 in it's own window so I can keep it open while running other *nix programs on the same desktop. At full screen I did allot of desktop switching ans was annoying, at least for me.
A good site for Greek is http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/morphindex?lang=greek
OK tried ISA install with wine works just fine.:-D

guest5
December 5th, 2006, 04:26 AM
http://www.ultimasurf.net/bible/bible-scholar-resources.html

I'll try and reinstall esword under wine, it failed to take before, and when I had even less ubuntu skills than I do now. Wish me luck. Meanwhile, here is a good study resource for windows which needs to be given a try.

www.scripture4all.org

Darrious
December 5th, 2006, 04:29 AM
I just stick with good ol' GnomeSword (http://gnomesword.sourceforge.net/)

silvagroup
December 5th, 2006, 06:24 AM
For E-sword with WINE don't forget to add libraries riched20 as native, and you should have no problems. Also extract libraries don't try to install, they will not install under WINE. Also ISA will install and run in WINE.
For E-sword howto you can check the app datebase at wine hq.

LeeU
March 20th, 2007, 02:40 AM
If anyone has figured this out, I would sure like to know. I see on other discussion groups older postings of people getting BibleWorks 4.0 to run but I can get it installed. I just get a "No valid registration file found; Please run setup." error message. I've looked at the answer here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2216&highlight=registration+file) (it's for 5.0 and 6.0 but I figured it would be worth a try) but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

silvagroup
March 20th, 2007, 05:03 AM
You may want to try some of the same recommendations that were made to Billy.

Remember that wine is not a replacement to Windows. Wine has made some terrific strides in that direction but it still has a long way to go.

If you have Windows apps that you must run and can't get to install or run in wine ,unless you are well versed with wine, expect some major stumbling and fumbling and the great possibility that it just won't work in wine.

I have yet to get Logo's, GramCord and several other Windows based programs, to run in wine but since I own them I just run them in an emulator.
Of course if one could have a pool of brain power knowledgeable in wine, Linux and Windows much like Google has done with Google Earth and Google Picaso it can be done. And yet they still have some problems and don't work as well as there windows versions.

That's why encourage people to get to know a good emulator so you can run your software!
I continue to try the programs in wine as it progresses and have over the years been able to get E-sword and ISA to work excellently on wine so I removed them from my emulator installation and run them in wine. I also continue to try the others also but so far still no success with those others.

For those of you considerting buying Bible software I recommend you stay away from Logos. They plainly stated that they have no intrest in developing a Linux or BSD version, but they did do a Mac version. After that email I have stopped buying Logos modules and just buy the real book.

I also encourage you to email the developers and ask them to at a minimum port their apps to wine, preferably to totally port to Linux.
The more of this they get the sooner it will happen and then we won't need to waste all this time trying to get the apps to run in wine and setting up emulators. :)

lwalper
March 24th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I looked in Synaptic for gnomesword and when trying to select it for install i get the following error;

gnomesword:
Depends: libsword5c2a (>=1.5.8-7) but it is not installable

and won't let me proceed (which is probably a good thing if it is not installable).

Is there a work around for this?

I also tried to install JSword which required an upgraded java script something or other -- the install attempted to run in wine, but then halted and would not continue -- generated some sort of error (I forget what it was at the moment -- it was after a 15Mb download that I haven't attempted again).

lwalper
March 24th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Do I need to first install libsword6 which is available in Synaptic? --or would that not include the needed library?

mhancoc7
March 24th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I looked in Synaptic for gnomesword and when trying to select it for install i get the following error;

gnomesword:
Depends: libsword5c2a (>=1.5.8-7) but it is not installable

and won't let me proceed (which is probably a good thing if it is not installable).

Is there a work around for this?

I also tried to install JSword which required an upgraded java script something or other -- the install attempted to run in wine, but then halted and would not continue -- generated some sort of error (I forget what it was at the moment -- it was after a 15Mb download that I haven't attempted again).

This should help:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1682605&postcount=4

Jereme

lwalper
March 25th, 2007, 12:26 AM
OK, thanks. I got the file -- now what does it mean

let your computer automatically install the lib file for you (using gDebi...
I'm a complete newbie and am sure that is some sort of command line to run in the terminal.

lwalper
March 25th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I tried doing the right click thing in the file manager and ran using the debi installer -- come up with the error to the effect that I don't have permissions or some such thing. Should this be done with the sudo command?

lwalper
March 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM
So I tried

sudo gdebi libsword5c2a_1.5.8-8+b1_i386.deb

and got the following:

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/apt/__init__.py:17: FutureWarning: apt API not stable yet
warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)
Reading package lists: Done
Reading state information: Done
Failed to open the software package The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file.

LeeU
March 25th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Has anyone figured out the original topic of this thread: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu ?

mhancoc7
March 25th, 2007, 03:11 AM
You should be able to just double click the .deb file to install it. Or you can go to the Terminal and type the following.

sudo dpkg -i "path to .deb"

Jereme

kc1di
April 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.ultimasurf.net/bible/bible-scholar-resources.html

I'll try and reinstall esword under wine, it failed to take before, and when I had even less ubuntu skills than I do now. Wish me luck. Meanwhile, here is a good study resource for windows which needs to be given a try.

www.scripture4all.org

I downloaded Scripture4all It runs under wine but can't get it to load from the menu
any suggestions? Thanks =Blessings David

silvagroup
April 2nd, 2007, 05:38 PM
@ kc1di:
Sometimes a wineboot in terminal will clear that up. Also make sure that your menu settings are thus - Command: wine "C:\Program Files\ISA\ISA.exe",
Wok Path: /home/carlos/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/ISA.

@ LeeU:

Has anyone figured out the original topic of this thread: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu ? Have tried many things without any luck. Have my XP re-installed so maybe prayerfully within the next week may find something of help, also just updated wine to, but for now the answer is, no, unless someone has and hasn't posted their successful install.

Ngallendou
November 26th, 2007, 12:50 AM
BibleWorks 7 is now running well under 64-bit Gutsy Gnome. It was installed through the Wine Dos/Windows emulator that had been installed via Synaptic.

The only problem was that the installer could not find the BW7 .cab files after a CD-ROM disc change. The solution was to copy the installation CD-ROM discs to a folder on the local hard drive and run Setup.exe from that folder.

(This is sooo good, that the only reason for keeping Windows around remains MS Word which has a few features that OpenOffice.org must still be working on for a future release.)

At the start of the BW7 installation, I chose to have it create a desktop icon which works fine. When asked whether to download the Gheko HTML viewer, I wrongly replied No, leaving the help files unreadable. How to remedy that mistake?

Papa-san
December 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM
First, get Java enabled properly. Your system has a few different types on it. First,
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
java -version
Then, you have to set the right version of java as default:
sudo update-alternatives --config java

There are 4 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection Alternative
-----------------------------------------------
1 /usr/bin/gij-4.2
2 /usr/bin/gij-4.1
*+ 3 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
4 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java

Press enter to keep the default , or type selection number: The one you want is 'java-6-sun'. On this system it's number 4, yours may not have all of these, or it may have more... Just pick the one that says 'java-6-sun' by entering the right number
That gets Java running right.

Then on to Bible Desktop:
wget -c http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/jsword/release/bibledesktop-1.0.7-bin.tar.gz
tar -xvzf bibledesktop-1.0.7-bin.tar.gz
cd jsword-1.0.7/
chmod +x BibleDesktop.sh
./BibleDesktop.sh

Then, it should be opening for you without wine. Your 'bible desktop.sh' (The file that opens it) will be located in Places > Home > jsword-1.0.7

Oriolo
March 7th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Though it might seem a little late for an answer, please try this solution:
move to folder /.wine/drive_c/windows (the dot means it is a hidden folder, you have to enable show hidden files under view menu), and renamo or remove any file of the form bw6*.ini. this worked for me.
Best regards
Ariel

wtstommy
August 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I have a how to for setting up Bibleworks (with Wine) on my blog. Maybe it will help. http://nerdlets.thekeenehouse.com/20...in-ubuntu-804/

zerubbabel
September 2nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
I have a how to for setting up Bibleworks (with Wine) on my blog. Maybe it will help. http://nerdlets.thekeenehouse.com/20...in-ubuntu-804/
These instructions were very helpful, and all went as stated, except that the english font is not displayed properly and the "Getting Started" window appears each time, regardless of unchecking the box to suppress it. The latter problem I can live with, but not the font problem. I tried changing the English font under Tools/Options (to Tahoma, for example) but it made no difference. I can't even figure out what most of the font names are, because the font used to display them is haywire.

mhancoc7
September 2nd, 2008, 08:53 PM

It would be cool if you could add this to the Ubuntu CE Wiki (http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/christianubuntu/wiki/doku.php)

Thanks, Jereme

ke4ke
September 6th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Bible Works 5 installs and runs fine with WINE. So if you have the older version give it a try.

Tim

zerubbabel
September 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
These instructions were very helpful, and all went as stated, except that the english font is not displayed properly and the "Getting Started" window appears each time, regardless of unchecking the box to suppress it. The latter problem I can live with, but not the font problem. I tried changing the English font under Tools/Options (to Tahoma, for example) but it made no difference. I can't even figure out what most of the font names are, because the font used to display them is haywire.
I received this email from Matthew Hauck about how to solve the font issue with Bibleworks 7:

"I am thinking there are may be some windows fonts missing. I use a program called Wine Doors and it is able to install a bunch of basic software really easily, like MS fonts and such. Try installing Wine Doors and just run it once. All of the initial setup it performs on its first run should be sufficient. If not, let me know."

This solved my font problem, and now Bibleworks 7 runs fine.

zerubbabel
January 26th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I have been running BibleWorks 7 under Ubuntu 8.10 and Wine for several months now, and am quite happy with it except for one problem. When scrolling back a line at a time in the Bible text (center) pane, the lines of text scrolling in from the top are cut off, so that only the top half of the characters in any given line are visible. If I scroll back in jumps (by clicking above the slider in the scroll bar), the text is rendered properly. I wonder whether anyone else has observed this behavior, and has found a solution for it.

rcbinwi
November 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm also having font problems; English is appearing in Greek. I'll see if I can do what was suggested to Zerubbabel.

rcbinwi
November 12th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Wine Doors solved the problem. Thanks!