PDA

View Full Version : Request: Inkscape .41

benplaut
April 20th, 2005, 06:28 AM
I looked into the release notes for this mere one one-hundreth version upgrade, and it includes better layer support.

Layers are the weakpoint of Inkscape, so pleeeeaaase make an update? :razz:

Thankee very much :grin:

Burgundavia
April 20th, 2005, 07:34 AM
This is already in Breezy, so it should be fairly easy.

Corey

benplaut
April 20th, 2005, 07:52 AM
This is already in Breezy, so it should be fairly easy.

Corey

k, thanks

Virtual DarKness
April 25th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I've tried to backport inkscape but it miss libgc version 6.4+..

checking libgc version 6.4+... no
configure: error: libgc (the Boehm Conservative Collector) 6.4+, is needed to compile inkscape -- http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc

I think I could backport that too but don know if it is "safe" or if it will create some problem with the other software installed..

please (expecially jdong ;) ) let me know.

bye,
Giovanni.

jdong
April 26th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Taking a look at reverse dependencies, it's not safe to make this library update, unless many Universe packages are rebuilt. This would also make Hoary-backports binary incompatible with Hoary, which I want to avoid.

Unfortunately, at this point, I will not be able to create the backport because of libgc. :(

Virtual DarKness
April 26th, 2005, 08:15 AM
mm.. the "dirty way" seems to work: the package created with alien from the inkscape-0.41-1.static.i386.rpm downloadable from the inkscape web site works; it gives an error that I also had some time ago (but maybe not in kubuntu, can't remember) on startup about missing extensions and it seems to be slower but for who that need it is better than nothing :-P

let me know if you try it.

bye,
Giovanni.

benplaut
April 26th, 2005, 08:28 AM
i added debian sid to my sources list, installed .41, and removed them.

it works perfectly :razz:

Virtual DarKness
April 26th, 2005, 08:42 AM
doh! didn't thought at the bad boy!

I'll try to backport it from sid then ;)

bye,
Giovanni.

edit:
same problem as above.. but this time it requires also the "-dev" package of libgc.. isn't it possible to install just the update "-dev" package and then build a static version of inkscape? (and if yes.. how? :D)

jdong
April 26th, 2005, 12:12 PM
No, it's NOT ok to introduce statically linked packages. It's got to violate Debian packaging policies, and I don't want to do that.

f76
September 14th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Does this mean that there is as of yet no safe way to use .42 under ubuntu hoary?
Is anyone running it under hoary? do you have any problems ?

thanks

tseliot
September 14th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Why don't you use autopackage?