PDA

View Full Version : Sticky request

podunk
October 22nd, 2006, 12:02 AM
I realize wisdom and good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment. :-)

However - every week I read something from folks about how their data got hosed during an install.

Is there anyway to put a sticky at the top of the general help, howto and newcomers forums?

Back it up people! might be a good title. And folks could post free or low cost back up solutions for the various OS's out there.

Maybe in 500 point Renfew Bold? :mrgreen:

Old Pink
October 22nd, 2006, 01:51 AM
Why don't you write it as a normal thread, then request a sticky in the resoultion centre, or in this forum? :)

maniacmusician
October 22nd, 2006, 01:57 AM
do we share the responsibility for people not backing up their data? i guess it would be helpful, but it's also just a search away. smart users are already doing this, the not so smart ones probably aren't interested (ie, wont be messing with their systems), and it should also be taken into consideration that most people don't have the hardware necessary to do this. it would take several DVDs for most, and a lot of users have small (40-80GB) hard drives. backing up their data would probably take up more space than the drive has. and tape drives aren't a household thing.

But i do understand your point...however, it seems to be moot until such a thread exists. are you volunteering to create it? ;) but seriously, i think for best results, it should be made first, and then nominated for sticky-position.

[warning: i'm not part of the staff, just saw your thread and decided to answer]

edit: dern, old pink beat me to it. my bad, i was installing edgy rc in vmware and got distracted :p

podunk
October 23rd, 2006, 03:28 AM
Can my howto have 8X10 glossy photographs with lines and arrows? :-) (Arlo Guthrie)

I've been playing with backup software all day, and you know what? The best and fastest way to backup Windows is with Linux. Ain't that utterly insane?

The only complete whole disk backup I got with no errors using a Windows utility was with a freeware (as in coffee) called Drive Image XL. I t took forever, I ended up going to bed while it was like 3 hours or so into it.

I was able to copy My Documents to a USB drive in a little more 20 minutes XP, slightly faster that way in Ubuntu.

Both copied my data files to DVD with no problem.

The quickest way I found to back the whole thing up was boot up in Ubuntu and copy it to a USB drive, this took slightly more than an hour and a half. This is a copy not an image, so I would have to reinstall the system I guess? Copying the whole drive over SMB using the Live DVD and storing in on my ext3 home partition was almost as fast, it would have been faster but I was surfing the web and stuff at the same time. Trying to copy the whole drive in Xp failed of course.

I'm waiting for the drive to defrag and I'm going to try partimage next. Then format the drive and see what restores best.

A few questions that I can't find the answers to. I have 1 gig RAM sticks. When I boot from the Live DVD I have 433 Megabytes of “free disk space” - this is I guess a virtual drive in RAM. This gave me plenty of room to download stuff like gnome-baker and k3b and Samba.

What would be the minimum amount of ram you could have and still use the Ubuntu live DVD for backing up or rescue? Supposedly it will set up with 128 – but can you run the Live version and still have enough ram to work with?

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 04:53 AM
i'd suggest at least 1 GB if you want to use it do back up or rescue a partition. more if you want it to be fast and efficient.

If i recall correctly, there is an option on the alternate install disk along the lines of "Rescue existing system"...worth looking into? i've never used it.

slimdog360
October 23rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
I think if someone is silly enough to muck around with formatting/resizing certain parts of their hard drive and not backup, they deserve to lose their data. Silly silly people.