PDA

View Full Version : Censorship

Foudre
October 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Some one removed the communism thred, oh very free speech of them...

raublekick
October 20th, 2006, 03:20 PM
probably got moved to the backyard.

Brunellus
October 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
This is a Linux community devoted to Ubuntu Linux. We try to stay (mostly) on-topic, even in the Community Cafe section.

Political posts tend to engender flamewars. Fortunately, we have a sub-forum for that--the Backyard.

The thread in question had begun to degenerate into a flamewar. All the usual signs were present: politics, willful misunderstanding, FURIOUS STATMENTS TYPED IN ALL CAPS and, of course ****ing foul ****ing language.

Please remember that while you might be guaranteed a right to Free Speech, that only applies to those servers/publications/etc. which you yourself control. It does not necessarily cover your activities on non-public forums.

justin whitaker
October 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Yep, backyarded.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280463

Foudre
October 20th, 2006, 03:29 PM
i see where your coming from but that was fun one

matthew
October 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Some one removed the communism thred, oh very free speech of them...1 - it wasn't removed, it was moved to the appropriate forum for political discussion. In fact, it's still open for posting.

2 - the correct place for dealing with things you think are wrong (eg. if you believe something was censored) is the Resolution Center (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123), not the Cafe.

3 - you really didn't seem to care about solving the problem (I can't find the communism thread...can someone help me?) but instead you just wanted to complain loudly and bitterly.

What would be appropriate at this point is for you to say, "I'm sorry, my reaction was rude and unnecessary."

Let's all move on.

jcrnan
October 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM
No, you do not have the right to free speech on forums :) You have the right to say what the staff gives you the right to say :)

However, I do think this forum is a bit heavyhanded when it comes to stopping political discussions and such. I think its better to just warn/delete flames and such. Its fully possible to have agitated political discussion without any actual problems.

Brunellus
October 20th, 2006, 04:14 PM
No, you do not have the right to free speech on forums :) You have the right to say what the staff gives you the right to say :)

However, I do think this forum is a bit heavyhanded when it comes to stopping political discussions and such. I think its better to just warn/delete flames and such. Its fully possible to have agitated political discussion without any actual problems.
We feel that deleting posts outright is more heavy-handed than is merited.

I personally feel that post deletion is censorship in its purest sense, and I don't like doing it.

The backyard sub-forum was created in part because the participants in political threads often tend to be the least amenable to conventional warnings. Thus it is better for us to move the debate to a sub-forum that is more conducive to the "free fire zone" attitude that pervades certain threads.

Generally, we won't move threads that don't turn ugly.

aysiu
October 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM
If you have an issue with the way things are being handled, make a thread in the resolution center (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123).

RAV TUX
October 22nd, 2006, 07:58 PM
Some one removed the communism thred, oh very free speech of them...

As stated above I moved this thread to the Backyard for the reasons stated above.

My apologies for not leaving a redirect, in the future on threads I Backyard, I will leave a 1-2 hour redirect.

Jozef