PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu v1.5 Preview!!

mhancoc7
October 17th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I am hard at work putting together Ubuntu CE v1.5. This release started out as a simply change to include the new Automatix2 (http://www.getautomatix.com/). It has grown to include some nice new features and some bug fixes as well. Below is a list of the changes.

New Packages:
Automatix2 replaces the original Automatix

Dansguardian GUI Enhancements:
added Naughtyness Limit to dansguardian GUI options
added "Visit Dansguardian Website" button
added "Lock/Unlock Firefox Proxy Settings" buttons

Ubuntu Christian Edition Installer Enhancements:
added Ichthux Desktop to the UCE Installer
upgrade Ubuntu CE button added to UCE Installer

Bug Fixes:
fixed sources.list not surviving install
fixed Install menu item not getting removed after install
I am really excited about the addition of the Ichthux Desktop to the Ubuntu CE installer. This will allow those who want to benefit from both Ubuntu CE and Ichthux to easily install Ichthux to there Ubuntu CE installation with just a few clicks of the mouse.

I am also really happy about the new "Upgrade Ubuntu CE" button in the Ubuntu CE Installer. This will make upgrading Ubuntu CE much easier for users. It basically downloads the "Upgrade_Me" script and then checks to see if your system needs to be upgraded or not and acts accordingly. Again just a few mouse clicks and you are upgraded!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know what was coming. Thank you all for your support.

God Bless, Jereme

hopstah
October 17th, 2006, 09:30 PM
i like the idea. keep going with this, i am curious to see the packages that you add into it.

watch out, though. microsoft will be all over you for trademark infringement. Ubuntu CE

Old Pink
October 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I don't think you can copyright initials, mate. :P

You'll be fine.

meng
October 17th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Just curious about the version numbers - what constitutes a .1 increase? At what point will this become v2.0?

hopstah
October 18th, 2006, 03:53 AM
yeah, i was joking about the copyright thing, but then my keyboard stopped functioning (i still haven't solved that one) and so i just clicked submit.

mhancoc7
October 18th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Just curious about the version numbers - what constitutes a .1 increase? At what point will this become v2.0?

I am not using any real strict version naming convention. Basically each release will move from 1.4 to 1.5 for example. What constitutes a release? Well, I try to be sure to make at least a few enhancements to each release. If there are any bugs that need to be squashed that can't wait then I will release a new version with just that bug fix. I hope that answers your question. :)

God Bless, Jereme

meng
October 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM
It answers my question partly but I wonder if this versioning policy is wise Many users expect a certain degree of change based on version numbers, especially a change from 1.x to 2.x. And your reply doesn't address the issue of when UCE becomes 2.x, since 2.0 doesn't automatically follow 1.9, for example.

mhancoc7
October 18th, 2006, 01:41 PM
It answers my question partly but I wonder if this versioning policy is wise Many users expect a certain degree of change based on version numbers, especially a change from 1.x to 2.x. And your reply doesn't address the issue of when UCE becomes 2.x, since 2.0 doesn't automatically follow 1.9, for example.

Sorry I didn't mention v2.0. It will follow v1.9. I agree that users do expect a certain number of changes for each release. That is why I am not planning releases until it reaches a point that I feel warrants a release. The only exception will be if a major bug presents itself. I do not plan on over complicating the versioning scheme. I just want to keep it simple. Now when v2.0 comes out I may try to plan things such that something big will come with it.

God Bless, Jereme

keen0300
November 7th, 2006, 09:31 PM
When is 1.5 going to be released? I like the sounds of what you are working on.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Anonii
November 7th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Please add CE to your thread title (When you check the threads from the home forum directory, it doesnt show the section that thread is in), I originally thought that someone did a really serious thread gravedigging :P

mhancoc7
November 8th, 2006, 12:47 AM
When is 1.5 going to be released? I like the sounds of what you are working on.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Ubuntu CE v1.5 should be released in the next few days. I ran into a few issues that had to be addressed before I could release it.
God Bless, Jereme

Please add CE to your thread title (When you check the threads from the home forum directory, it doesnt show the section that thread is in), I originally thought that someone did a really serious thread gravedigging :P

Thanks, I did not even notice that I forgot the CE. I can't find a way to edit it. If any mods see this please change the title. :)

God Bless, Jereme