PDA

View Full Version : Installing Fear

EntenduEtOublie
October 16th, 2006, 06:03 PM
So I feel like i post a lot of "Newbie" questions on here... but anyways I've always been into that game Fear, while I was playing online I saw that most of the servers were linux... and now I can get fear to install right even using Wine... can somebody help me?

Niko_Thien
October 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM
At First: Yeah, a lot of Gamingservers are running under linux. But they are not running the game itself, but only a special server program.

Referring to winehq.com F.E.A.R. it is not possible to run it using wine. But Cedega might be able to handle this game. But you'll have to pay for Cedega. There's also an entry of Cedega in the Wiki, you might want to check it out.

greetz Niko

K.Mandla
October 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM
(I'm just going to shift this into the gaming area, where it will get better attention. ... ;) )

OffHand
October 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM
So I feel like i post a lot of "Newbie" questions on here... but anyways I've always been into that game Fear, while I was playing online I saw that most of the servers were linux... and now I can get fear to install right even using Wine... can somebody help me?

FEAR is not playable on Linux... yet.

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/alphabrowse.mhtml?letter=F

Polygon
October 17th, 2006, 08:53 PM
it needs the .NET framework, and since wine does not support this the game will not run at all.

justin whitaker
October 17th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I've got discs, and Cedega. Let me see if I can get this to run. Maybe there is a mono hack we can use.

Anonymo
October 2nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but has anyone got this to work yet? I want to play F.E.A.R. combat but it doesn't work.

Anonymo
February 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I was able to get F.E.A.R. Combat working on Arch Linux, getting low FPS at the moment, but overall still playable. Going to try to run it on Ubuntu 8.10 later today.

Followed this guide:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5159

Get wine 1.0.1/1.1.5 or later

1. Put native d3dx9_36.dll to your game or system32 folder
2. Apply 1.08 patch(if you don't want to enjoy all the game bugs...)
3. Install WMFADist.exe
4. Change
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\Offscreen RenderingMode
to "fbo" to get better fps and Pixel Doubling/Soft Shadows working