PDA

View Full Version : "The Beginner Community" needs renaming

PriceChild
October 15th, 2006, 05:51 PM
On the front page, "Absolute Beginner Talk" and "News & Announcements" are inside "The Beginner Community".

I think this last name needs changing as it no longer fits in with both forums it contains.

matthew
October 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Agreed. How about "Look Here First"? ... Okay, that name stinks. I agree something a bit more descriptive might be a good idea.

PriceChild
October 15th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Agreed. How about "Look Here First"? ... Okay, that name stinks. I agree something a bit more descriptive might be a good idea.I was gonna suggest it... but realised it stinks... and compeltely unoriginal or proffessional.

I reckon Absolute beginners should be inside Ubuntu Release Assistance (same priority as it is now, equal to "Main Support Categories".)

and "News & Announcements" made into its own Category.

Pricey

NeoLithium
October 15th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Starting Point?

PriceChild
October 16th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Starting Point?Much better :P

NeoLithium
October 16th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Well, my first thought was Welcome to the Real World ;P

John.Michael.Kane
October 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Would'nt just moving the News & Announcements section to the top,and leaving the beginners section intacked fit the bill.

PriceChild
October 16th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Would'nt just moving the News & Announcements section to the top,and leaving the beginners section intacked fit the bill.Yes, but the entire idea of the forum reorganisation lately was to make the front page a lot smaller... your method would mean a whole new big category.

ubuntu-geek
October 16th, 2006, 03:45 PM
The reason the news & announcements is in the area it is. Is because people actually look there. But I am open to suggestions on renaming that category from "the beginner community" to something else.

Old Pink
October 17th, 2006, 12:03 AM
How about....

First Base

*registers patent*

Kidding...

Old Pink
October 17th, 2006, 09:06 PM
BUMP - I'd like to see this renamed... :)

ubuntu-geek
October 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM
BUMP - I'd like to see this renamed... :)
Bump.. I dont see any good names..

Old Pink
October 17th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Starting Point / First Base are quite good.

Newbie's Lounge? Beginner's circle? Getting Started?

matthew
October 17th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Bump.. I dont see any good names..Agreed. Brainstorm commencing...let's see, both categories (Absolute Beginner Talk/News & Announcements) need to have attention drawn to them, especially for neophytes. We want a name that says, "Hey, look here first! Your questions may have answers here and if not, this is a great place to start your search." Some ideas to get us going...I'm beginning with a stream of consciousness ramble with the thought that this is where we want all eyes to focus when they arrive on the front page (well, after the search button just above).

First Stop

Starting Point

Starting Line

The Beginning

Look Here First

Daily Briefing

Your Morning Coffee and Newspaper

Daily Mail

In the Beginning

Beginning to Read

Beginning Reading

Start Me Up

Start Me Off Right

Starting Off Right

Starting Line

Head Start

Sure Start

Home Start

Ubuntu Beginnings

Jump Start

...okay, that should at a minimum elicit some further contributions and ideas...

John.Michael.Kane
October 17th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Read me first

Ubuntu Daily

Ubuntu Green Beans

Noobie Lounge

Buffalo Soldier
October 17th, 2006, 11:06 PM
What about just "Start Here" ?

Old Pink
October 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I stand by:

Starting Point
First Base
Newbie's Lounge
Beginner's circle
Getting Started?
Welcome Centre
First Stop
Amatuer Lounge
First Entry
Freshman Lounge
Learning Circle
New Kid Zone
Novice Bar
Newcomer Network
New Recruits

:-k Oooh I like them all! :-D

Particulary Freshman Lounge and Learning Circle

John.Michael.Kane
October 18th, 2006, 12:08 AM
What about just "Start Here" ?

Thats seems like a good one to go with.

One question though how are you going enforce new users having to read that section first?

justin whitaker
October 18th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Start Here is perfect.

ubuntu-geek
October 18th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Wow nice.. Good stuff, i'll come up with something based off these suggestions :) thanks all..

ubuntu-geek
October 18th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Changed..

Old Pink
October 18th, 2006, 11:53 PM
New to Ubuntu? Look Here First! (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)It's good, but not exactly something that rolls off your tongue.

ubuntu-geek
October 19th, 2006, 12:48 AM
It gets the attention of people who are new. Thats the goal not how "cool" it can be.. At least thats what I think.