PDA

View Full Version : Vista licenses: no Virtual Machines!

BLTicklemonster
October 13th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Talk about the EULA that killed the product:

Vista Licenses Limit OS Transfers, Ban VM Use

By Gregg Keizer, TechWeb Technology News

Microsoft has released licenses for the Windows Vista operating system that dramatically differ from those for Windows XP in that they limit the number of times that retail editions can be transferred to another device and ban the two least-expensive versions from running in a virtual machine.

The new licenses, which were... (http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234)

(click to read more)

codejunkie
October 13th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Good on there MS the os is crippled to the point that windows 2000 or me will be more useable than this supposed better more featured version unless you shell out for the most expensive edition. they just keep biting themselves in the ***. i bet these guys are sitting around the board room coming up with ideas like how about limiting peoples usage to three hours unless they buy the ultimate editionoh well, im loving it they keep digging there own hole.

BLTicklemonster
October 13th, 2006, 05:33 AM
There are indications that the above mentioned article might not be exactly true, come to find out. I guess we'll see, but hey, we use Ubuntu! That means that every time a new version comes along, WE DON'T HAVE TO SHELL OUT A SINGLE DIME! woot woot

codejunkie
October 13th, 2006, 05:54 AM
There are indications that the above mentioned article might not be exactly true, come to find out. I guess we'll see, but hey, we use Ubuntu! That means that every time a new version comes along, WE DON'T HAVE TO SHELL OUT A SINGLE DIME! woot woot
I agree with the road MS has taken this seems like the perfect time for maybe apple or a human friendly linux distro that will remane nameless ;) to take it's market share, and with the limited features of the basic versions of vista and the huge pricetag it packs id say even oem's are considering an alternitave to MS.

lonce
October 13th, 2006, 06:04 AM
We are using ubuntu and mythtv on our machines that we sell. Saves our customers a ton of money. First on the license to windows you save a hundred. Then you dont need bleeding edge machines that have latest technology just to boot up. Saves a ton of money.

We sell fully capable with more options than MCE for 499. No other company can come close, and as soon as the public at large finds this out. Microsoft is done.

Dr. C
October 13th, 2006, 07:19 AM
There is already a thread about this in the Windows section.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=276429

3rdalbum
October 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM
You know what's even cooler? Windows Xp Starter Edition (for 3rd-world) allows you to have a maximum of 3 windows open at a time (imagine this with Internet Explorer). Windows Vista Starter Edition dramatically increases this to 3 seperate applications open at a time!

As a measurement: I keep Firefox, Evolution and Gaim open at all times whenever I'm online. If I wanted to read my RSS feeds in Akregator... well, I'd have to quit a program. Even Macintosh System 6 in 1988 did not have such a ridiculous limitation!

Lord Illidan
October 13th, 2006, 10:34 AM
You know what's even cooler? Windows Xp Starter Edition (for 3rd-world) allows you to have a maximum of 3 windows open at a time (imagine this with Internet Explorer). Windows Vista Starter Edition dramatically increases this to 3 seperate applications open at a time!

As a measurement: I keep Firefox, Evolution and Gaim open at all times whenever I'm online. If I wanted to read my RSS feeds in Akregator... well, I'd have to quit a program. Even Macintosh System 6 in 1988 did not have such a ridiculous limitation!

And it's still more expensive than Ubuntu!

chaosgeisterchen
October 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Everything costs more than ubuntu despite free software.

BLTicklemonster
October 13th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I looked all over for the windows discussion before posting! I swear!