PDA

View Full Version : Forum Main Page Navigation

asv
October 12th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I haven't been on Ubuntu Forums in awhile till a few weeks ago, but what is with the redesign of the main page?

The navigation is simply horrible. There are probably over 100 links on the index page. Busy forums, like Edgy Development, are given the same status as forums such as "Ubuntu Christian Edition" etc etc.

I have to spend a few minutes, every time I come the main forums page, reading tiny type, in order to find the forum I want.

Whoever through this design was an intuitive way to navigate, really needs to take a step back and rethink the current forums design.

matthew
October 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
sticky...

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=273576

ubuntu-geek
October 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM
If you have a suggestion on how to improve please feel free. Simply saying it sucks isnt going to help it improve.

asv
October 12th, 2006, 09:34 PM
If you have a suggestion on how to improve please feel free. Simply saying it sucks isnt going to help it improve.

Suggestions.

#1 Severely Reduce the amount of forums listed on the main page

News and Announcements
Absolute Beginner Talk
Support
(Maybe list 3 of the most popular subcategories)
Other Support
(Maybe list 3 of the most popular subcategories)
3rd Party
Community

Thats 12 forum links total. Instead of simply overwhelming, even veteran users.

2. Remove The user list on the main page.

Its simply way to much space, its also too big of a forum for this feature to be useful.

3. Beef up Search

Search, at least at the moment, seems to be broken. If I search for Java or a general keyword, nothing comes up. Ultimately, with the amount of information on this forum, the main interface needs to become a lot more search centric.

ubuntu-geek
October 12th, 2006, 09:50 PM
1. We just did that, see matthews post above.
2. You can hide it.
3. Its currenly being worked on.

asv
October 12th, 2006, 10:06 PM
1. We just did that, see matthews post above.
2. You can hide it.
3. Its currenly being worked on.

Looking at Matthews post above it lists 40+ forum links. That is simply way too many choices for the typical user to parse through, or even an advanced user. It needs to be slimmed down a lot more.

People should also be able to click on the majority of forums listed without having to scroll.

It takes 3 whole screen scrolls to view the main forums page. Requiring 3 screenshots to display it. Its simply way too busy.

I'm sorry if I sound whiney, but while the previous structure wasn't great, I'm surprised to see a newer design that 2x worse, especially when the Ubuntu OS UI is so nicely done.

Perhaps the forum administrators should look to the Ubuntu interface, for inspiration on how to do a simplified layout.

matthew
October 13th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I'm sorry if I sound whiney, but while the previous structure wasn't great, I'm surprised to see a newer design that 2x worse, especially when the Ubuntu OS UI is so nicely done. Considering that the previous version had MORE choices on the front page I would think you might be grateful for some improvement. I personally can't see how moving toward your goal would make things 2x worse...that just doesn't add up.

The forums are always a work in progress and we do welcome constructive comments. Since yours seems to be the only complaint at the moment I think we will take it to heart, but we probably won't make any quick or sweeping changes based on it.

ubuntu-geek
October 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM
You so you do "realize" that those big orange arrows you can hide sections right? Just click them to hide the section you do not want.

asv
October 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
You so you do "realize" that those big orange arrows you can hide sections right? Just click them to hide the section you do not want.

Yes, there is the ability to hide sections. My whole previous point is, the forums section should be usable by default. 99% of your users are never going to bother customizing their nav layout.

The most likely use case is someone new to ubuntu who is looking to fix problem X on a dapper install. Unfortunately, they are going to have to dig through 40+ links to find the proper place for their question.

PriceChild
October 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Unfortunately, they are going to have to dig through 40+ links to find the proper place for their question.Or use the new improved search ;)