PDA

View Full Version : Linux - command line only

Portable_Jim
October 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I am wanting a small version of Linux that is only command line, so that the students have to use the command line (the course is testing the command line skills of the students).

A small boot disk that boots straight into command line would be ideal.

adwait
October 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Don't know about a LiveCD version of any such linusx, but you could simply install any linux and remove Gnome/KDE forcing it to start in command line mode. Alternatively, edit the rc.d so that gdm/kdm are not started at boot time.

Iandefor
October 13th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Tomsrtbt (http://www.toms.net/rb/)?

junglepeanut
October 13th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Server install, then don't allow them to install wm.

towsonu2003
October 13th, 2006, 06:32 AM
does this count: http://www.minix3.org/

Portable_Jim
October 19th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Thank you. All of these suggestions are helpful.

glug101
October 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Another possiblity would be to have one linux box on the network, and then (assuming the computers are currently running windows) have them run putty to ssh into the linux box. You could have them graded on what you see in their home directories. There is NO way they can use the graphical interface with that setup;)

madmetal
October 21st, 2006, 02:20 AM
Another possiblity would be to have one linux box on the network, and then (assuming the computers are currently running windows) have them run putty to ssh into the linux box. You could have them graded on what you see in their home directories. There is NO way they can use the graphical interface with that setup;)

yes but they can look for help at internet with windows :-\" speaking as student..;)
i think a server install will be fine..

glug101
October 24th, 2006, 03:31 AM
yes but they can look for help at internet with windows :-\" speaking as student..;)
i think a server install will be fine..
Point well taken ;) However, I have to admit that the internet is where I would turn to if I didn't remember a command in Linux (assuming that the man page and --help option have already failed me;) )