PDA

View Full Version : No pictures in signature for normal users?

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Why can't we have pictures in our signatures? We should do it but not host the images in this server, but host them somewhere else like photobuket and link it there. WE could also limit size. It makes it so much nicer with pictures.

Old Pink
October 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM
No, forums with signature images everywhere generally look disgusting, even small ones.

Plus, this forum design is so minimalist and generally gorgeous, it'd be a crying shame to ruin it. :)

GStubbs43
October 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM
No, forums with signature images everywhere generally look disgusting, even small ones.

Plus, this forum design is so minimalist and generally gorgeous, it'd be a crying shame to ruin it. :)

Not all the time, like some people want to put the Ubuntu Counter image in their sig.

Old Pink
October 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Agreed, if the colors match and the image is relevant, it'd look decent, but it's impossible to set up an automated script to check that, and I'm sure moderators have better things to do then check everyone's signature.

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
But like a have a pic i use fo my other forums and it looks good. Others too. I think it looks relly great because it's personalized and colourful. The ubuntu brown is nasty, though the whit works well with it. I still think we need to be allowed, it won't cost the server any more memory. And at least to bve able 2 use gifs!

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Here's whta i'm talking about:

http://a7.vox.com/6a00c225201dff8fdb00c22527849f8fdb-pi

made with inkscape

Old Pink
October 7th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Get that mess off my screen! :|

It's disgusting! And huge! And disgusting! And the ubuntu brown isn't "nasty", it's gorgeous.

That awful image alone is the reason why signatures aren't image capable.

Urgh, I feel like hunting it down and deleting it from my cache.

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 07:13 PM
WEll it;s rly smaller, ie:

http://a7.vox.com/6a00c225201dff8fdb00c22527849f8fdb-500pi

or

http://a7.vox.com/6a00c225201dff8fdb00c2252866cf8e1d-pi

http://a3.vox.com/6a00c225201dff8fdb00c22527be3b8fdb-500pi

come on they're not THAT bad, i'm just 13 and i'm tryin!

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Oh, and the turd lagoon ubuntu ships with IS ugly. And i got many positive comments fo my sigs on the psp forums, they're way niicer. But theee forums are cleaner, lighter but slower and well way more restricting

aysiu
October 7th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Why not just put the image as your avatar? I don't see why images have to be in signatures.

Old Pink
October 7th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Fair enough, you've made an effort, and I appreciate that. :)

They're just a little big, and a little cluttered. I mean, there's PSP logos, flying PSPs, three ubuntu logos and a "Got Root?" tag which are just thrown in to a random blue background in no particular order.

Out of those, the bottom "LocoRoco player" is the best image by a long shot. Keep trying to produce smaller, minimalist images like that and you'll get somewhere.

If you keep at it from a young age chances are you'll over time become quite talented and look back on this and laugh. :)

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Why not just put the image as your avatar? I don't see why images have to be in signatures.

Really not alot of room. Like for it to be personalized i have:

-4 or five lines of text as sig
- thats it

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Fair enough, you've made an effort, and I appreciate that. :)

They're just a little big, and a little cluttered. I mean, there's PSP logos, flying PSPs, three ubuntu logos and a "Got Root?" tag which are just thrown in to a random blue background in no particular order.

Out of those, the bottom "LocoRoco player" is the best image by a long shot. Keep trying to produce smaller, minimalist images like that and you'll get somewhere.

If you keep at it from a young age chances are you'll over time become quite talented and look back on this and laugh. :)

Thanks a lot, plus ur right i did them a month ago. I agree about the clutter, and i made a whole thread abou my lcooroco signatures here (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=creations&message.id=3865). I'm the only spreading ubuntu over on the psp forums.

:-D

highneko
October 7th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I vote for having pictures allowed in signatures.

bonzodog
October 7th, 2006, 07:22 PM
no, no, no....
One of the big reasons I like these forums is because they don't allow images in sigs.
I came from usenet, where an email sig is all you could afford -- max four lines of text.

I do hang around on a couple of forums where they do allow pics in sigs and some people outright abuse this privelige - one chap had a picture of his car in it, and it was at least six lines in size.

aysiu
October 7th, 2006, 07:25 PM
If pictures in signatures are allowed, there'd better be an easy way to turn off seeing those images.

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
no, no, no....
One of the big reasons I like these forums is because they don't allow images in sigs.
I came from usenet, where an email sig is all you could afford -- max four lines of text.

I do hang around on a couple of forums where they do allow pics in sigs and some people outright abuse this privelige - one chap had a picture of his car in it, and it was at least six lines in size.

I had never been on another frum before and i never though u could do that. I saw it and i was amazed, so much personalization. It was so pretty. Though i c how it could destroy the look, i stil think we should be allowed more freedom.

I vote for having pictures allowed in signatures.

Great, that makes two of us!

EDIT: I like ur sig.

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 07:29 PM
If pictures in signatures are allowed, there'd better be an easy way to turn off seeing those images.

Excellent idea! Allow us the right to host signatures on other sites and have them as sigs here, and have the option to turn them off! Genius.

Fass
October 7th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Here's whta i'm talking about:
http://a7.vox.com/6a00c225201dff8fdb00c22527849f8fdb-pi
made with inkscape

Ugh, that almost gave me a seizure.

Please, the powers that be, please, oh, please, for the love of all that is nice and good and eye-friendly, do not allow pictures in sigs. It is annoying, it reflects poorly on those who would have the lacking judgement to actually put pics in their sig, and it is just plain old tack-o-rama.

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 07:36 PM
K, don't think praying will help. Anyway i tried, on a previous post i mentioned a thread i amde and on it you'll find some better ones (to me anywaze). And i think seizure is a bit weird.

Old Pink
October 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Ugh, that almost gave me a seizure.
LOL

Please, the powers that be, please, oh, please, for the love of all that is nice and good and eye-friendly, do not allow pictures in sigs. It is annoying, it reflects poorly on those who would have the lacking judgement to actually put pics in their sig, and it is just plain old tack-o-rama.

Couldn't have said it better. I hate signature images.

ubuntu-geek
October 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM
We have no plans to allow images in signatures.

aysiu
October 7th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the assurance, ubuntu-geek.

Kateikyoushi
October 7th, 2006, 08:00 PM
That sig serves as a very good example what would happen if pics would be allowed in sigs. That colororgy would drive me away.
Who didn't have an idea why is it bad now has.
Keep the clean image don't turn it to an animeforum.

KiwiNZ
October 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM
What Ubuntu-Geek said

The forums that allow them can look terrible.

Surely its your message thats important,not the candy

PingunZ
October 7th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I prefer a no-signature-image forum :)
Tough .. I have a signature image somewhere ..
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1245/userbar776331os.gif
I love the userbar idea, but I hate large signature images.
So maybe restrict the images to userbars ?

Cheers

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 7th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I agree, limit the size to a very small area, and if a mod sees rudeness of profanity, just delete it. Nice sg

Kateikyoushi
October 8th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Ok then imagine a few such sigs blinking on your screen... 8-[

GStubbs43
October 8th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Ok then imagine a few such sigs blinking on your screen... 8-[

disable animated gifs as well...

Old Pink
October 8th, 2006, 01:28 AM
IF signatures are made image capable, there MUST be a way to disable them. :)

ubuntu-geek
October 8th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Please read post #22 http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1591267&postcount=22

Zyzzyx
October 8th, 2006, 02:47 AM
ubuntu-geek, thanks for the doubly sure reassurance on that.

Sig images are evil, evil things.

Josh1
October 8th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Signatures with images will make the forum look stupid, the colour theme for ubuntuforums.org is excellent and loads really fast because there is minimum graphics.

Exactly.

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
October 8th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I still think we should be allowed more freedom. You can personalize the heck out of ubuntu, why not ubuntuforums?

matthew
October 8th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I still think we should be allowed more freedom. You can personalize the heck out of ubuntu, why not ubuntuforums?It's been discussed. Your opinion was politely listened to. Your input was considered. Let's not beat it into the ground. Thanks!

I think this thread has reached the end of its usefulness since there really isn't anything more to say or discuss on the issue. I'm going to close the discussion so we can all move on.