PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a dev project editor

Browser_ice
October 5th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Hi, is there a project development editor that handles writing programs in Perl, PHP, C++ and Java ?

I mean either one single software or one for each named programing language, that allows me to edit multiple files (layed out like a project) and have highlithed synthaxe for the source code to tell me if I made a syntax error ?

After doing the code, I can then go and test it and if there is an error, go back to my project development editor and fix it.

I am not looking for a compiler, but an editor with syntax check depending on the language I use. I know of Eclipse but it is not native to Ubuntu and I had problems last time I installed it (I will try again just in case).

KoRnholio
October 6th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Text editors like gedit and Kate have syntax highlighting for roughly a jillion languages, including the ones you mentioned. They aren't laid out like a project, however, just tabs for the different files.

Eclipse is more of an IDE, that can work with an assortment of languages. But plugins are needed for each language, and I'm not sure if plugins exist for all the languages you mentioned. I know of Java, PHP, and C++. And Eclipse is much more complete of an editor - it'll tell you actual syntax errors rather than just highlighting syntax like the text editors do.

I don't know what problems you had in teh past, but Eclipse runs great on my machine, whose specs are much less impressive than your machine. Running it shouldn't be a problem if you install it from apt-get/synaptic.

randomnumber
October 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM
eclipse works great on my machine too.

_duncan_
October 21st, 2006, 06:45 PM
Eclipse is dependent on Java. If you have Sun Java configured properly in Ubuntu then it should work well.