PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Tagging profiles

wieman01
October 4th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Hi Team,

I have given it some tought and I have come to the conclusion that it may be worth to enhance the forum by a feature or two. This should be an open discussion so I am inviting you to make comments & tell me if these ideas are really worthwhile.

Basically I am impressed by the sheer number of Linux experts that are members of this forum. Many of us show commitment to the spirit & concept of Ubuntu & possess dedication that is beyond what I have seen so far in other internet communities. I also understand that each of has certain strengths & key focus areas when it comes to supporting others & seeking help. Having said that I think that is something we should build on and possibly enhance the way users customize their profiles.

The new "tagging" approach is one step in the right direction if you ask me. Bearing that in mind I would go one step further and have users "tag" their own profiles i.e. furnish their profiles with key words, thus highlighting their expertise. To give you an example:

User ABC:
1. Wireless networking & security
2. Samba
3. Xinerama
4. Xgl, compiz

This would work both ways: Forum members find posts that relate to the "field of expertise" faster - and at the same time users seeking support would know at one glance to whom they need to address their concerns. Users would primarily see threads that corresponds to their personal tags, such threads would then be given a higher priority (e.g. different color). Again users seeking support could contact other users with the matching expertise directly & subsequently open up a new thread.

Personally I am much in favor of such a function as it would speed up the process of supporting others in need of help & finding solutions for technical problems. I am convinced we would have considerable time savings on both sides of the fence.

Your ideas on this?

wieman01
October 5th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Reckon nobody interesting in a discussion?

ubuntu-geek
October 5th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Thats a pretty interesting idea. It would be really simple to give the user the ability to add tags to their profile.

wieman01
October 5th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Thats a pretty interesting idea. It would be really simple to give the user the ability to add tags to their profile.
Yes, I think so too. Of course we need to talk about it in more detail I reckon but it could speed up the support process considerably. We could even think about publishing certain user profiles according to their personal tags/expertises so that others can contact them directly or "raise their attention" by sending them a short message.

It also makes the forum a bit more transparent...

ubuntu-geek
October 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
One issue that could happen is those people who specify tags on their profile might see an increased amount of PM's.

matthew
October 5th, 2006, 03:07 PM
One issue that could happen is those people who specify tags on their profile might see an increased amount of PM's.That could be an issue (see my sig).

wieman01
October 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
One issue that could happen is those people who specify tags on their profile might see an increased amount of PM's.
That is true. But give them the option to disable PM's if they don't want them. After all they don't need to tag their profile if they don't want to.

EDIT:
One way would be to "hide" their tags. In that case they can use the tags to filter forum posts but don't run the risk of being "spammed".

dolphinsonar
October 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM
It could work, might be a better way of "connecting the dots."