PDA

View Full Version : Orca Magnifier

RKCole
October 4th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Hello, everyone.

I decided to install Ubuntu 6.10 Beta on my PC today (over Ubuntu Dapper...and I'm loving it!). I just have a question: How do I start the magnifier in Orca? I typically don't use screen readers, only the screen magnifier, and I had read that Orca had a screen magnifier. I couldn't figure it out, so I temporarily installed Gnopernicus until I can test out/get the Orca magnifier working.

Any input would be well appreciated.

Thanks, everyone and take care.

RKCole
October 4th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Nevermind, I figured it out. :) I removed Gnopernicus, and this magnifier (not sure if it's still gnome-mag) seems to work even better than it did with Gnopernicus. Very nice!

I just have one more question now: Once Orca is started, where does it go? It does not appear on the taskbar at all that I can see.

Thanks and take care.

Cabb
October 4th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I have a question as well. As mentioned I tried Ubuntu on VMWare and got full-screen magnification working but it was quite laggy. I don't know how much of that was due to VMWare, but I need magnifier on all the time everywhere to be able to use the system.
I'd like to switch over as soon as possible (and then I'll hopefully be able to help in some way). So my question naturally is: if the Orca magnifier isn't gnome-mag, how well does it work in full-screen mode? I'm interested in everything that says "full-screen magnification" but it is quite difficult to find the latest info on the subject.

Henrik
October 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Orca does use gnome-mag just like gnopernicus did, but most of the work on Orca so far has been on the speech part so there may be some magnifier regression issues.

We are still hoping for an accelerated hardware magnifier ...

Btw, if you need a magnifier that always runs as a backup while configuring orca/gnome-mag. The two can be run at the same time. kmag does not have cursor tracker though, just mouse tracker.