PDA

View Full Version : Please help make hardware drivers work in Linux

SeanHodges
October 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
Hello everyone,

Until today, I was a Kubuntu user who did nothing whatsoever to help the poor support by hardware manufacturers for Linux...

Some of you are probably aware of the open letter by Jonathan Gray regarding the lack of sufficient support from Intel for many of their products (such as a number of their wireless NIC's: http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/ for one) His letter, with a brief summary by Jeremy Andrews, can be found at: http://kerneltrap.org/node/7184

It got me thinking that I myself have been guilty on many occasions of coming across hardware that is poorly supported by the manufacturer, and instead of acting on it I simply grumble a bit and move to another product.

I've started to mend my ways... I have sent an email to Intel regarding the lack of hardware documentation for their Intel PRO/Wireless cards... I dont own one, but its a 1 minute of my time given to a cause that I encounter frequently myself. Sooner or later, I may find myself with an Intel wireless NIC at hand, and I hope on that day I will be able to just plug it in and connect it up...

I pledge from now on to identify all of the software that I find is not supported in Linux, and make sure that I email a complaint to the company, requesting that either fully compliant open-source drivers are provided, or that further information and support is given to the brave individuals who have to reverse engineer the hardware in order to give us support for the products that we bought.

This, of course, is not going to make any difference on it's own... So I'm asking if everyone here could consider doing the same, remember a 1 minute email from you will add to a 1 minute email from everyone else, eventually flooding the manufacturers with enough of a reason to be serious about Linux support.

Please also instruct any other users, with or without hardware issues, to do the same... Simply link to this thread if you do not wish to explain things repeatedly...

This has probably all been said before, but it's worth repeating over and over so that people like myself start to realise that they need to help to make things better!

maniacmusician
October 4th, 2006, 02:26 AM
another way to help with hardware support, or at least hardware problem-awareness is to check out Dohickey. unfortunately, you won't be seeing it at its potential because right now we're in between releases (the next one will be a pretty major release), and we're even rebuilding our website from the ground up (quitting googlepages). I'm having a lot of issues with school right now so I don't know when DoctorMO will roll out version 0.5 (it'll be at the same time as the website, which i'm working on). But when 0.5 comes around, we will start a thread in the cafe, be on the lookout for it within the next few weeks.

you can still check out the site in my sig to get an idea of what the project is all about, its goals, and how it will accomplish them.

SeanHodges
October 4th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Cheers, I'll be sure to check that out tonight

I had designs for a very similar application, if time permits I'd like to help out.

First I need to get my new computer though, my previous one recently blew up :(

maniacmusician
October 4th, 2006, 01:40 PM
we are definitely looking for help, so that would be fabulous. It's a huge project to take on with just two people (one of whom cant code (me). theres lots of things that need help with, so whatever you can contribute would be great.

dca
October 4th, 2006, 07:21 PM
That's odd, I have an Intel ProWireless 2200B/G in my Dell laptop... Of course, Ubuntu recognizes it right off the bat but I could've sworn a while ago when I was using openSuSE (because before 'open', it worked in SuSE enterprise) I was able to get Linux driver(s) directly from Intel's site.