PDA

View Full Version : Human icon theme

Nikola
October 30th, 2004, 07:10 PM
I hope Andrew Fitzsimon will notice this thread....
You misspelled some of the icon names from Human theme, so they don't show up.
For example:
In /devices, it's gnome-dev-harddisk.svg, not gnome-dev-hardisk.svg.
Also, gnome-dev-removable.svg is missing. IMHO, harddisk icon should be removable icon (because it has that slot, like on floppy drive), and icon for harddisk should be same but without that slot, maybe something like I've made in screenshot below.
In /apps, gnome-accesories.svg should be gnome-util.svg, gnome-web.svg should be gnome-globe.svg.
This is just from top of my head....
BTW, when will be ready next release?

And I want to share my little modification, I realy dig that Ubuntu dark brown colour, so I've changed some icons:
http://img70.exs.cx/img70/8755/ubuntu.png

Nikola
October 30th, 2004, 09:24 PM
...and if someone is interested, I've packed tweaked icons, plus that dev-harddisk icon, and you can get it here. (http://damas.on.neobee.net/teme/ubuntu-brown.tar.bz2)

bantu
October 30th, 2004, 09:38 PM
The link to your icons seems to be broken... Any chance of fixing it?

Nikola
October 30th, 2004, 10:08 PM
The link to your icons seems to be broken... Any chance of fixing it?

My ISP is very unrialable these days.. try again :-s

bantu
October 30th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks, it eventually worked...

bvc
October 31st, 2004, 12:08 AM
Thank you!

JumpyLINUX
March 30th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Where can find a list of all the possible icon names? I'd especially like to change the desktop icon(I'm using Gartoon icon theme but it doesn't have an icon for it.).

bvc
March 30th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Where can find a list of all the possible icon names? I'd especially like to change the desktop icon(I'm using Gartoon icon theme but it doesn't have an icon for it.).
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.4/gtk/gtk-Stock-Items.html
Note: it's old

bvc
March 30th, 2005, 08:25 AM
also: currently ... /Human/scalable/apps/gnome-system-monitor.svg should be gnome-monitor.svg

wfx
March 30th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Great work, thx a lot!

lgoss007
March 31st, 2005, 03:26 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't like the folder icons? I like just about all the other icons (I like the older synaptic icon though), but for some reason the folder icon... :-&

And it's not the brown (though I don't care for brown and I prefer blue ;) ), it's just the icon...

ups
March 31st, 2005, 07:42 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't like the folder icons? I like just about all the other icons (I like the older synaptic icon though), but for some reason the folder icon... :-&

And it's not the brown (though I don't care for brown and I prefer blue ;) ), it's just the icon...
The folder icon i my favourite of the lot :)

Really like it, and hope it to remain that way ;)

lgoss007
March 31st, 2005, 08:10 PM
Hmm, I'm all alone :cry:

Well I think it might be a combination of things. The front part of the folder looks too rounded and the shading makes it look like the the folder is in a trash can or some bucket. To make it worse the colors of my folders look out of place:

http://www.xenoera.com/files/folders.png

unkwn
March 31st, 2005, 09:38 PM
why can't i install these through the theme preferences? 'invalid file format'

Spark*
March 31st, 2005, 11:54 PM
Hmm, I'm all alone :cry:

Well I think it might be a combination of things. The front part of the folder looks too rounded and the shading makes it look like the the folder is in a trash can or some bucket. To make it worse the colors of my folders look out of place:

http://www.xenoera.com/files/folders.png
No you are not alone. :P The folder really looks very bulky, especially compared to Jimmac's icons. Most of the Etiquette icons seem to be very detailed, but the folder icon appears rather simplistic. This is a pity, because the folder icon is usually most visible.
I'd also prefer if folders would look closed by default and only open when I drag an item above them and, obviously, when they are opened.
The most important icons for me are folders and documents, because those are the icons I actually _work_ with. If they look bad, then I can't use an icon theme for very long.

bvc
April 1st, 2005, 02:00 AM
I'm with ya to. A google and forum search will show you others agree. There just haven't been many to speak up, not that it would necessarily make a diff, but... I think most like the folders. I'd guess the roundness was seen as an attribute of the folder that flows with the logo? On a positive note, all the icons look far better than they (etiquette) did over a year ago. In that regard, good job!

bvc
April 1st, 2005, 02:01 AM
why can't i install these through the theme preferences? 'invalid file format'
it has no index.theme file
they are intended to be replacements

bvc
April 2nd, 2005, 06:19 AM
No you are not alone. :P The folder really looks very bulky, especially compared to Jimmac's icons. Most of the Etiquette icons seem to be very detailed, but the folder icon appears rather simplistic. This is a pity, because the folder icon is usually most visible.
I thought so to, so the one I edited from the Human Icone Theme on the left is the one I currently use. I don't like jimmac's and I don't want them closed, but I don't like them neither flat or fat. Just toned down, I guess you could say, oh, and with a shorter tab and longer insert which gives it a more realistic, flatter, wider feel, IMO so that it is not so much an open bin with scratch pad paper of some sort.
http://www.kernow-webhosting.com/~bvc/theme/images/humanedited.png

Andy
April 2nd, 2005, 11:56 AM
I'm with ya to. A google and forum search will show you others agree. There just haven't been many to speak up, not that it would necessarily make a diff, but... I think most like the folders. I'd guess the roundness was seen as an attribute of the folder that flows with the logo? On a positive note, all the icons look far better than they (etiquette) did over a year ago. In that regard, good job!
canberra just lost to aukland in the rugby.. so im hiding at an internet cafe
guys just a quick comment to let you know ill be much more active here once i get back in australia and behind a machine with inkscape.

I'm not sure what lisence the human icon theme is under myself but I am sure that etiquette was both GPL and CC and human is based off that theme.

BVC, I'd love your help refining the human icon theme. Infact everyone is welcome to contribute illustrations. we really need to open this thing up.

I think whats most important right now is that i get more actual icons done as soon as i get into the country and then with a lot of luck i'll come back from ubuntu down under with set style guide for the icons.

this is all such a mess that im determined to fix. and now I finally have the time comming up to do so.

kassetra
April 2nd, 2005, 07:16 PM
it a more realistic, flatter, wider feel, IMO so that it is not so much an open bin with scratch pad paper of some sort.

Ok, I have to disagree with you bvc in that I absolutely adore most of jimmac's work. But I also have a collection of almost 10,000 icons, so I like a lot of other people's work as well. heh.

I like the changes you've made to the folder with one exception - you lost the heavy stroke that used to be around the icon, which I really liked...

I think the problem with the Human theme in general is that it's a mix of different styles of icons/borders/etc... jimmac's, andy's, clearlooks... etc. One of the reasons that KDE's "plastic" theme works so well with KDE is that *everything* has a plastic look - all of the icons, the themes, etc. all have the same style, so it looks solid. People can always 'feel' if something is out of place, even if they can't put their finger on exactly 'what' ...

The dislike that many people have for parts of the Human theme really brings to light the fact that it's a bunch of different styles tied together by color. In order to feel 'cohesive' it really needs to all be similar styles.

A style guide would be good, but I think maybe an overhaul to the icon theme in general would be the best idea. I think Gnome, and Ubuntu in particular, really needs a new, definite feel. Jimmac's work provided a good style for most of the recent Gnome history, and I'm sure it will continue to do so, but I know I am looking for a new feel for my Gnome, and I don't think we're "there" yet.

Nikola
April 2nd, 2005, 11:44 PM
I too agree that Human icon theme just doesn't fit 100% with all other elements, like Clearlooks gtk2 theme and brownish colours.
For example, I'm using now stock Clearlooks theme, and IMHO Bluecurve icons, like yellow folders, fit 100% with blue title bars and whole look.
But if I choose Clearlooks-Human, everyhting falls apart.

I can't explain, but Human icon theme just doesn't fit right with human default theme. Again, IMHO :-)

kassetra
April 2nd, 2005, 11:52 PM
I can't explain, but Human icon theme just doesn't fit right with human default theme. Again, IMHO :-)

I mean, brown is the ubuntu desktop color, and I personally love it, but I think you've stated what many people are having an issue with - the Human icon theme just doesn't "fit" ...

If everything fit well, like ximian desktop 2 - then even if you didn't like the color, it would still look professional and polished.

bvc
April 3rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
I'm not sure what lisence the human icon theme is under myself but I am sure that etiquette was both GPL and CC and human is based off that theme.

BVC, I'd love your help refining the human icon theme. Infact everyone is welcome to contribute illustrations. we really need to open this thing up.

I think whats most important right now is that i get more actual icons done as soon as i get into the country and then with a lot of luck i'll come back from ubuntu down under with set style guide for the icons.Looking at the current "COPYING" file in etiquette there is no mention of GPL...only CC.

I'll be glad to help any way I can and I'm glad you want input from all!

I think 'main' stock icons (navigation for example) are of some priority, especially since they work from Icon Themes now, but have always felt that mimetypes come last. But it's you work and for you and ubuntu (I guess) to decide what's next.

Ok, I have to disagree with you bvc in that I absolutely adore most of jimmac's work. But I also have a collection of almost 10,000 icons, so I like a lot of other people's work as well. heh.I did to, what?...2 years ago? ...but a cat only has nine lives ;-)

I like the changes you've made to the folder with one exception - you lost the heavy stroke that used to be around the icon, which I really liked...that's what I dislike about any icons theme that has it....Bluecurve, Gnome, Suede and a host of svg icon themes. The effect is overdone...it's too much. You want an icon easily visable w/o being attracted to its edge. It's not supposed to be the first thing noticed.

Jimmac's work provided a good style for most of the recent Gnome history, and I'm sure it will continue to do sooh, lets hope not [-X

I mean, brown is the ubuntu desktop color, and I personally love it, but I think you've stated what many people are having an issue with - the Human icon theme just doesn't "fit" ...

If everything fit well, like ximian desktop 2 - then even if you didn't like the color, it would still look professional and polished.so....brown? 4 to 6 months ago I hated the brown. I love it now, but what? ubuntu orange? red? green? I mean they almost have to be brown if not blue. I'd rather have blue than the others if not brown. I am kinda diggin' the brown though
Clearlooks-4Humans (http://www.kernow-webhosting.com/~bvc/theme/gtk/clearlooks/0.5/Clearlooks-4Humans.jpg)

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 06:20 PM
that's what I dislike about any icons theme that has it....Bluecurve, Gnome, Suede and a host of svg icon themes. The effect is overdone...it's too much. You want an icon easily visable w/o being attracted to its edge. It's not supposed to be the first thing noticed.
Heh. See, that's the first thing I notice if it's not there. That stroke is why I've kind of stuck with the gorilla icon set, to me, it's what sets gnome themes apart from everyone else, I guess. KDE has plastic; XP has fisher-price baby toys; OSX has photo-realistic; and Gnome has the mostly-flat-look with the thick stroke... to me anyway. It's really what I love about gnome and xfce, actually.

oh, lets hope not [-X
I've seen some of his new work from Novell - his style will most likely define a large chunk of the gnome population, for a considerable amount of time yet to come, whether you like it or not, because most people do like his work. heh.

so....brown? 4 to 6 months ago I hated the brown. I love it now, but what? ubuntu orange? red? green? I mean they almost have to be brown if not blue. I'd rather have blue than the others if not brown. I am kinda diggin' the brown though Clearlooks-4Humans (http://www.kernow-webhosting.com/%7Ebvc/theme/gtk/clearlooks/0.5/Clearlooks-4Humans.jpg)
Not sure you understood me there. I think many people have complained about the "brown" not being "professional" because what was actually wrong is that the "Human" icon theme really doesn't "fit" together with one style, and so looks out of place, and the first thing people "blame" is the color.

bvc
April 3rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
hehe...how many times have you heard 'gnome is ugly'? :mrgreen:
gnome-purist like his work..
..other than that, 'most' is an overstatement to say the least. Don't get me wrong, his stuff isn't bad...not at all! It gave us something nice from gnome1.4>2.0 when theming gnome was dead, because it was a nightmare at best. I'm thankful for it, but as you say....we're looking for the new :smile: But that's all off topic, eh?

I see what you mean about blaming the brown though....makes sense to me.

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
hehe...how many times have you heard 'gnome is ugly'? :mrgreen:
gnome-purist like his work..
..other than that, 'most' is an overstatement to say the least. Don't get me wrong, his stuff isn't bad...not at all! It gave us something nice from gnome1.4>2.0 when theming gnome was dead, because it was a nightmare at best. I'm thankful for it, but as you say....we're looking for the new :smile: But that's all off topic, eh?

I see what you mean about blaming the brown though....makes sense to me.

Heh. The only people that say "Gnome is Ugly" are KDE people. ;)

When I say most people, I mean the people with the $ behind distributions. :)

But yeah, I do think we need something new - if only for Ubuntu, because it's such a fresh, clean, awesome distro - that I don't want it to look like the rest.

bvc
April 6th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Heh. The only people that say "Gnome is Ugly" are KDE people. ;)
I'm a gnomer', haven't had kde installed in over a year, and I say gnome is ugly all the time :lol: I wouldn't have spent so much time making and porting if I thought it was purdy #-o
:p

Tsjoklat
April 6th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Blast bvc! That is such a sweet setup that you have going there :)
Love the icons the most, marvelous indeed ... *drool*

D

kuleali
April 13th, 2005, 03:58 PM
great,

jzke
June 14th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Agreed, we definitely need a Human icon theme created from scratch to match the GTK+ theme and colours, a good theme is partly what makes a distro easy to use!