PDA

View Full Version : v1.3 is out already working on v1.4...

mhancoc7
September 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Well, v1.3 is out. I am already working on v1.4. :)

So far the next release will include a slightly modified version of the firefox theme from www.faithbrowser.com (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/www.faithbrowser.com). It will also have the failed checksum issue fixed.

If anyone has any ideas for the new release just let me know. There really isn't any more space for programs so new programs will be added to the Ubuntu CE Installer.

God Bless, Jereme

montgoej
September 28th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I'm thinking maybe there could be multilingual Sword modules installed. I'm willing to try to put packs together if I can figure out how to make it install to Gnomesword from a .deb . PM me if you're interested. I've got many different multilingual modules on my computer already, most in english but I've got the Esperanto, Spanish and Dutch modules too.
~Jordan Montgomery

Raphink
September 28th, 2006, 10:54 PM
@Jereme: if you need ideas on useful things to do, we need to debug gnomesword 2.1.7 with libsword6 as it is currently broken after the lib transition we just overtook. Then we need to fix bibledit in Ubuntu aswell, because it has been segfaulting ever since we added it. There are also lots of sword modules to package, and lyricue, too :D

@Jordan: the Ichthux team is already working on packaging new modules. Vietnamese, Dutch, Swahili and Tagalog modules were added today to Edgy.
If you have packaged more, please contact us so we can see if we can sponsor you to get them in Ubuntu. Beware however that many sword modules are not GPL-compliant, when they even have copyright infos, and that they shouldn't be distributed in Ubuntu unless we can make sure the copyright is ok. Please beware of not bashing the Ubuntu licensing values for the sake of adding software to it.

God bless

RaphaŽl

montgoej
September 28th, 2006, 11:56 PM
For the Esperanto bible, the info says "Esperanto Bible from the OLB version by Ian Green.
Further information is unknown."
Of course that doesn't say much about the license, but that is all the info it has. If you know anything more about it, please let me know.
~Jordan Montgomery

mhancoc7
September 29th, 2006, 05:03 AM
I'm thinking maybe there could be multilingual Sword modules installed. I'm willing to try to put packs together if I can figure out how to make it install to Gnomesword from a .deb . PM me if you're interested. I've got many different multilingual modules on my computer already, most in english but I've got the Esperanto, Spanish and Dutch modules too.
~Jordan Montgomery

I am a little confused about the modules. I mean GnomeSword has a "Module Manager" that allows you to install them from the Crosswire database. So it seems to me that including a bunch of languages might not be necessary since they can be installed via the "Module Manager". I may be missing something here so just let me know.

@ RaphaŽl

I would love to be able to help with getting Lyricue ready for Ubuntu. However, I am not sure my programming abilities are up for the task. :)

PS: I hope you got my reply to your last email. I havn't heard back from you so I just wanted to check.

Thanks, Jereme

Raphink
September 29th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Yes, GS and BT have module managers. Those are adapted for users to add modules manually, eventually, but not for system-wide installation of modules. You can do anything without using packages: adding backgrounds, themes, tuning the configuration. But as we told you before, this will lead you nowhere. More and more derivative projects see it (Fluxubuntu, mUbuntu), and turn to us for help in switching from the script way to the metapackages way.

Now if I say all this, it is because I have done what you have done, a year and a half ago. I began Ichthux as a Knoppix live CD, tuning the conf manually, adding modules with the BibleTime bookshelf manager, adding backgrounds and splashes. Such hacking leads to problems eventually, and doesn't allow to give back to the community.

When I began to work on Ichthux, I didn't know anything about packaging, bash scripting, or distribution making. It took me one year to become an Ubuntu developer, gather other Ubuntu/Debian developers around me and get to do some real work. Packages take longer time to get to the same point as what you would do with manual hacking. But on the long run, it's really worth it, trust me.

Now if I and others have learned to package and be distribution makers, I'm sure you can do so, too. We have proposed to helped with this several times. There are more than 5 Ubuntu/Debian Christian developers on #ichthux on Freenode all the time, and you can come and ask for help.

I am happy to see that users rejoice in your project, but sooner or later you will have to work with developers too, and preferably to work in Ubuntu.

I didn't get your answer to my email btw. It seems to have gotten lost somewhere.

God bless

RaphaŽl

mhancoc7
September 29th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Yes, GS and BT have module managers. Those are adapted for users to add modules manually, eventually, but not for system-wide installation of modules. You can do anything without using packages: adding backgrounds, themes, tuning the configuration. But as we told you before, this will lead you nowhere. More and more derivative projects see it (Fluxubuntu, mUbuntu), and turn to us for help in switching from the script way to the metapackages way.

Now if I say all this, it is because I have done what you have done, a year and a half ago. I began Ichthux as a Knoppix live CD, tuning the conf manually, adding modules with the BibleTime bookshelf manager, adding backgrounds and splashes. Such hacking leads to problems eventually, and doesn't allow to give back to the community.

When I began to work on Ichthux, I didn't know anything about packaging, bash scripting, or distribution making. It took me one year to become an Ubuntu developer, gather other Ubuntu/Debian developers around me and get to do some real work. Packages take longer time to get to the same point as what you would do with manual hacking. But on the long run, it's really worth it, trust me.

Now if I and others have learned to package and be distribution makers, I'm sure you can do so, too. We have proposed to helped with this several times. There are more than 5 Ubuntu/Debian Christian developers on #ichthux on Freenode all the time, and you can come and ask for help.

I am happy to see that users rejoice in your project, but sooner or later you will have to work with developers too, and preferably to work in Ubuntu.

I didn't get your answer to my email btw. It seems to have gotten lost somewhere.

God bless

RaphaŽl

Thanks,
I will send you an email.
Jereme