PDA

View Full Version : Just Read It

JNowka
September 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM
This isn't a flame thread or even meant to vent on people. I just want to ask in a civilized manner for people to read the questions before jumping to the answer with a thread as a discription.

In the past couple days I have gone to threads where people have given a perfectly detailed description, from whats working and whats not, and the replies people are giving are to fix what is already working or not even close to being a part of the problem. The best example I have seen is the thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=265700 we have a perfect description that samba is working, and explains that he just wants to access his files.

Some of the people just don't add to the discussion. It seems that they get to one point and stop reading, and start answering. They don't finish the post. One guy goes to say that Linux can't write to a NTFS partition. This thread is talking about networking two computers, not writing onto a NTFS partition. Another person says to install Samba, he can see the share from the windows box, its installed.

What is the saddest is the bean count the guy who asked the question is 1 meaning this is his first attempt to find an answer that works. The first time he is experiencing the Ubuntu community. And if this is the red carpet we roll out in his initial question, what is he really going to think of the community.

So I beg you, please read the post in full before trying to solve the problem, the problem at the end could be totally differant from your answer.

I am not saying I have never done this, I probably have at some point. And I am sorry I did so. But as I said I think we all need to read the entire thread before we jump to the answer.

Thank you for listening to me, and I apoligize to anyone that may have been offended by this post.

x64Jimbo
September 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
A very similar situation happened with me recently. I can sympathize, and I hope you aren't discouraged by the other members' inability to read.

JNowka
September 26th, 2006, 10:05 PM
No I am not discouraged, I was not the person that asked the question. But it does make me a bit mad that some people just don't read the thread.

Lord Illidan
September 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Yes...I think we should make it that if one doesn't know how to answer a question, one should not post, period. I have a suspicion that people might post partial answers to increase their bean count, just for kicks.

x64Jimbo
September 26th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I know you didn't ask the question. I actually read your post and the link you gave, unlike those other folks in the thread. I was saying that I hope you're not discouraged by the apparent ineptitude of your peers. The same thing happened to me in another Samba thread recently.