PDA

View Full Version : Replys to questions....

bazzer
September 26th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Hi
Dunno if I'm imagining this or not, but I have noted that since I joined this forum I have posted questions that have attracted very little interest and next- to- zero answers!
Am I at the end where I'm doing stuff that nobody knows how to do? Or am I asking the wrong people (in the wrong sections?)
Or does nobody like me?!
With the amount of people on this forum, it really isn't expected....
Views? Advice?
TIA

bernied
September 26th, 2006, 01:45 PM
After reading a couple of your posts I think the first option is the most correct - you are doing stuff no-one else here knows how to do. I think this is mostly a users forum.

It also looks like (to me) you're capable of figuring stuff out yourself - ie in less need of help - whereas this place seems to concentrate on getting a basic system going.

Have you tried gentoo forums?

Gotterdammerung
September 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM
You're asking the same thing in various threads. Maybe you should try bumping one thread and wait for someone to have the answer.

About your preseeding problem. What it is exactly? You want to install Ubuntu in 30 different machines? If that's it, you could tar -czf the filesystem of the source and tar -xzf in the targets. You'll just have to compile kernel modules to all the hardware.

Gotterdammerung
September 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
You may also look for some answers in other forums. Gentoo Linux has a great forum (http://forums.gentoo.org/).

frodon
September 26th, 2006, 02:16 PM
You should read this nice post which may provide you an answer to your question : http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82471

Zero-reply threads are often due to lack of details/explanations in the description of the problem.

bazzer
September 26th, 2006, 02:20 PM
You should read this nice post which may provide you an answer to your question : http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82471

Zero-reply threads are often due to lack of details/explanations in the description of the problem.

Yeah... About that... I did attempt that and following the guidelines hasn't helped! That's why I've posted here!! I thought there may have been something wrong.

But, since this thread isn't dead I can only suppose my problem with preseeding is outside of the knowledge base of whoever is reading.

Cheers!

Gotterdammerung
September 26th, 2006, 07:19 PM
About your preseeding problem. What it is exactly?

:confused:

bazzer
September 27th, 2006, 09:13 AM
:confused:
Hi

Not that I don't want to answer, I would just like to keep on topic in this thread...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=264980

:)

mips
September 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM
bazzer,

Something you might want to try seing Ubuntu is based on Debian is to use the Debian documentation which is excellent and also visit the Debian forums to ask your questions.

bazzer
September 27th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Ok, good point I'll begin searching now!

Trouble is though (and I don't want to start a who is better debate) Debian isn't Ubuntu and I've already seen differences between the two OSs

I would have thought that since the Ubuntu Community is touted as being so large (* I am not quoting a reference, just my impression) that someone would have been where I am before.

It's a lonely old planet! ;)

Gotterdammerung
September 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM
bazzer,

Something you might want to try seing Ubuntu is based on Debian is to use the Debian documentation which is excellent and also visit the Debian forums to ask your questions.

Well, Ubuntu is not Gentoo, but it's still Linux. It would be good to you to search there also. There are very good admins there.

mips
September 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Ok, good point I'll begin searching now!

Trouble is though (and I don't want to start a who is better debate) Debian isn't Ubuntu and I've already seen differences between the two OSs

I would have thought that since the Ubuntu Community is touted as being so large (* I am not quoting a reference, just my impression) that someone would have been where I am before.

Yes there are differences but they are small, the similarities are much bigger than the differences.

It is my impression that the questions asked here are not as technical as some other distros. think it has something to do with the majority of 'new' linux users here.

If I can't find anyhting here i start looking at debian resources. For me it's not a thing about the one being better than the other. Debian has also been around a lot longer than ubuntu, which helps.