PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it time that free and open source software stopped supporting commericial OSes?

the.dark.lord
September 26th, 2006, 05:25 AM
I think cutting out free and open-source software for commericial OSes will give a real run for their money. Imagine Windows w/o Firefox or OpenOffice... This can fix bug#1 [MS has major market share] ;)

aysiu
September 26th, 2006, 05:35 AM
If I hadn't used Firefox on Windows, I don't think I'd have ever switched to Ubuntu or any Linux distro.

Think about it. If you were a Windows user who used all open source software, what would keep you on Windows?

I would propose a slightly different approach--something used by corporations--give a teaser. Put most of the development energy into the native Linux versions and have the Windows ports be an afterthought... sort of the reverse of what's going on with Songbird and FileZilla (which are mainly Windows applications where Linux is an afterthought).

jISh
September 26th, 2006, 05:44 AM
It won't do much harm at all, except that people will pirate commercial software further. FLOSS on Windows/Mac OS is a great way to introduce them to the concept and idea, and eventually may convert them to an entire OS based on it such as GNU/Linux.

Rhapsody
September 26th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Think about it. If you were a Windows user who used all open source software, what would keep you on Windows?
Heh, I did think about this. The answer ended up being 'nothing'.

Dragonbite
September 26th, 2006, 05:51 PM
For Windows users, programs are only one small part of the equation. Many Windows users go through the days without knowing what alternatives are out there for them AND how easy it is to install and run them!

Word Processor = MS Word
Spreadsheet = MS Excel
Presentation (slides) = MS Powerpoint
Internet Browsing = Internet Explorer (and Firefox, only because of the advertising and hoopla all over the media)
etc. ...

Having Open source available provides a chance for them to try an alternative and may (just may) plant the seed as to "what else is there an alternative to?"

I am a Windows user, and I have a number of Open Source programs isntalled but I'm still using Windows and it isn't from any lack in Open Source.

Pichu0102
September 27th, 2006, 08:02 PM
If I hadn't used Firefox on Windows, I don't think I'd have ever switched to Ubuntu or any Linux distro.

I would propose a slightly different approach--something used by corporations--give a teaser. Put most of the development energy into the native Linux versions and have the Windows ports be an afterthought... sort of the reverse of what's going on with Songbird and FileZilla (which are mainly Windows applications where Linux is an afterthought).

I couldn't have said it better myself. If people don't even try to use open source software on Windows, how will they feel about switching to a system run entirely on open source software? Like aysiu, Firefox eventually helped convince me to go for Ubuntu (I even have a Firefox poster, hat, and shirt!).
It's like taking a new car for a test ride, if you don't know how it handles, how would you feel about commiting to it?

mips
September 27th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I think cutting out free and open-source software for commericial OSes will give a real run for their money. Imagine Windows w/o Firefox or OpenOffice... This can fix bug#1 [MS has major market share] ;)

I think you are wrong. If anything the open source apps actually intoduces people to linux/bsd. Once they know the apps the OS is a small thing.

sbergman27
September 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM

No.

Our best strategy is to make OSS software available for as many OSes as feasible, and to allow no OS to be treated as second tier. (Easy to say, hard to do, I know.)

But I'll skip over the strategy part and jump to the more important thing. It would be a perversion of the OSS philosophy to mean spiritedly try to withhold the benefits of OSS software from certain classes of users in an attempt to pry them from their current OS of choice.

-Steve

ezsit
September 28th, 2006, 06:27 AM
I think cutting out free and open-source software for commericial OSes will give a real run for their money. Imagine Windows w/o Firefox or OpenOffice... This can fix bug#1 [MS has major market share]

I think you have this backwards, Firefox and OpenOffice have gotten as big as they are BECAUSE the apps are available for Windows.

On another note, many people who use GNU/Linux/BSD at home can not make that jump where they work. I am forced to use Windows at work and very much appreciate the fact that I can run OpenOffice under Windows and Linux and not worry about file formats and compatibility. Take a look at www.portableapps.com and see some of the open source programs converted to run off flash storage without the need for installation. These programs allow me to work in the same applications both at home under Linux and at work under Windows. The loss of Windows versions would really cripple my work.

ezsit
September 28th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Imagine Windows w/o Firefox or OpenOffice... This can fix bug#1 [MS has major market share]

One more point, MS has major market share because decades ago it contractually hijacked the boot sector and MBR out from under the computer system providers. Microsoft has total control over what can reside in the boot sector and MBR, as long as the system manufacturer wants the sweet discounts per license from Microsoft.

This is not the only reason for Microsoft's success at capturing the market, but it does explain their ability to squeeze all other OS comers out of the market.

Back in the days before system manufacturers knew the boot sector and MBR would be important for multi-boot purposes (and before there were viable and low cost alternatives for consumers), Microsoft gained control over this piece of hard drive real estate and has never let it go.

Dr. C
September 28th, 2006, 06:42 AM

A program with such a restriction would cease to be free as in speech or open source. Impossible to do with GPL code in any version for example. Apart from the fact that it is not a very good idea.