PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight distro for FTP

guest128
September 20th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Heyo everyone. As much as I love Ubuntu, I would like to set up my old computer as a server with something more lightweight, and was hoping that you guys could recommend a good distro.

It's mostly going to be used as an FTP server and a place to backup/store all my music/videos/software. Preferably it would be compatible with CD/DVD burning/ripping, since all my stuff is backed up onto them now.

I thought about using Damn Small Linux but I don't trust it as a stable file server, as I have had problems with it before.

So, any suggestions?

xhaan
September 20th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Are you looking for a desktop system with an FTP server on it, or a dedicated FTP server?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by compatible with DVD burning...

I used FreeBSD as a server for a while, it's a minimal install by default and comes with different types of server options that you can enable during install. I personally found it to be a very good dedicated server, but then I tried to make it into a desktop machine and found while it isn't an absolutely terrible destop OS, there are better ones out there for desktop use.

croak77
September 20th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Debian stable is pretty stable. Or like xhaan said FreeSD will do or NetBSD. Or a 'server' install of Ubuntu.