PDA

View Full Version : Search captcha breaks quick search

Tesiph
September 19th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Hi,

The requirement to solve a captcha if you want to search (withouth logging in) sort of defeats the purpose of having a quick search..
Not to mention that is sometimes completely unreadable.

keithweddell
September 19th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Have to agree this is a bit of a pain. I don't always want to log in if I am only on a quick visit. Can you at least give the option to complete the captcha before rejecting the search?

Keith

GStubbs43
September 19th, 2006, 09:49 PM
It's because they need more RAM, and since they don't have it they need to cut down on the searches by robots etc. to help keep the forum going. I think they did this before too. I'm sure once they get more RAM for their servers they can remove it.

skymt
September 19th, 2006, 10:22 PM
It's because they need more RAM, and since they don't have it they need to cut down on the searches by robots etc. to help keep the forum going. I think they did this before too. I'm sure once they get more RAM for their servers they can remove it.

They got their RAM, or it seems like it anyway. Forum threads here load faster than Slashdot for me.

GStubbs43
September 19th, 2006, 10:28 PM
eh. Maybe, but more and more people are coming here and they probably don't want it to become extremely slow again.

agurk
September 20th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Something possibly worth considering is that captchas are a royal pain for the visually impaired. On the other hand, I hear blind people usually prefer MS products anyway, because of better screen readers. Oh well.

ubuntu-geek
September 20th, 2006, 09:12 PM
They got their RAM, or it seems like it anyway. Forum threads here load faster than Slashdot for me.
Just for the record we did not upgrade our database server. But we did offload some of the traffic onto another database server with is running along with the web server. Please make sure you know before making assumptions.

skymt
September 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Just for the record we did not upgrade our database server. But we did offload some of the traffic onto another database server with is running along with the web server. Please make sure you know before making assumptions.

They got their RAM, or it seems like it anyway. Forum threads here load faster than Slashdot for me.I don't see how that's really making an assumption.