PDA

View Full Version : animated smilies must die

Brunellus
September 18th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Honestly. There's a small minority of users who totally overuse them, and it makes their posts almost illegible. If we ban animated user icons, why not ban animated smilies?

Lord Illidan
September 18th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Honestly. There's a small minority of users who totally overuse them, and it makes their posts almost illegible. If we ban animated user icons, why not ban animated smilies?

Why not just report the ones who over use them? Why do the majority have to suffer because of the small minority? Animated smilies are nice..hehe.=D>

matthew
September 18th, 2006, 04:26 PM
They really don't take up any more space...what's the size of a big one? 20k?

Overuse is bad, but they're so darn cute. :roll:
BTW, this one is 485 bytes

Brunellus
September 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM
it's not that they take up too much space, it's that over using them is visually annoying: :-\" :roll: ](*,) =D> =D> =D> =D>

I note with satsifaction that there is a limit of 8. Perhaps we can bring this down to 4 or 3 or 2?

Shay Stephens
September 18th, 2006, 04:53 PM
You are becoming a grumpy old man early ;-)

Relax, animated smileys are awesome! Now, if you find yourself getting too riled up about all these whipersnappers and their smileys, go watch a nice relaxing episode of Matlock, enjoy some metamucil, pop a geritol, and before you know it...all will be right as rain ;-)

Artificial Intelligence
September 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Well we could limit how many smilies that are allowed.

I could clean the the smilies but it aren't much gained. Taking Matthews smiley he posted, if I clean it, I can properly make it 50 byte smaller or if lucky 60-70 byte. Not much gaining :D

The biggest smiley we have got a size around ~2 KB

Brunellus
September 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM
You are becoming a grumpy old man early ;-)

Relax, animated smileys are awesome! Now, if you find yourself getting too riled up about all these whipersnappers and their smileys, go watch a nice relaxing episode of Matlock, enjoy some metamucil, pop a geritol, and before you know it...all will be right as rain ;-)
if I'd had my druthers, this site would be more usable in lynx. But oh well.

Shay Stephens
September 18th, 2006, 04:57 PM
if I'd had my druthers, this site would be more usable in lynx. But oh well.

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

Klaidas
September 18th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Ua cuz like, it was soooo koolzor!!! =D> =D> =D> :-\" :-\" #-o woot dood8-) =D>

Sometimes it really is annoying. But I say we should't just remove them, just set a smaller limit of then in a post, like, 4.

Shay Stephens
September 18th, 2006, 08:11 PM
And while we are at it, we should limit multiple exclamation points, because, you know, we need to keep all this emotion and fun under controll ;-)

When I was a kid, ascii was good enough for us, and by golly it should be good enough for everyone!!!

Woops, too many exclamation points!!!!

Doh!!!

darkhatter
September 18th, 2006, 09:25 PM
:-\" ](*,) :-({|=

lol :p

I know what you mean :D

I just love them \\:D/ \\:D/

don't be a fun sucker lol

(stupid 8 face limit, I think they should remove that :biggrin: )

henriquemaia
September 18th, 2006, 09:49 PM
:-\" ](*,) :-({|=

lol :p

I know what you mean :D

I just love them \\:D/ \\:D/

don't be a fun sucker lol

(stupid 8 face limit, I think they should remove that :biggrin: )

After seeing your post, I tend to agree with Brunellus... >:)

ps:But not enough to ban them, hehe.

KiwiNZ
September 19th, 2006, 05:00 AM
I think limiting the number that can be used in a post is a good idea

omns
September 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM

xXx 0wn3d xXx
September 19th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I think there should be a limit on smilies: :) :) :)

A limit on exclamation marks !!!!1

AND A LIMIT ON ALL CAPS.

Brunellus
September 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I think there should be a limit on smilies: :) :) :)

A limit on exclamation marks !!!!1

AND A LIMIT ON ALL CAPS.
somehow, they were less obnoxious when they were just plain text. Again, I seem to be the usenet nostalgist around here.

mips
September 19th, 2006, 01:13 PM
And the use of MASSIVE fonts should also be banned. Slightly larger fonts than normal are ok but some people go overboard.

Think 4 smilies per post would be ok. Dont think I ever used more than 2.

argie
September 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I use smilies only at the end of a sentence, usually instead of a punctuation mark. I think you should let them be though.

Everytime I've ever seen a smilie overdose, I go "oh, it's that kind of poster", and that's sometimes a good thing.

Artificial Intelligence
September 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Well, it's only in rare cases here on the board that people misuses fonts sizes, smilies etc.

I hardly see it as a problem.

matthew
September 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Everytime I've ever seen a smilie overdose, I go "oh, it's that kind of poster", and that's sometimes a good thing.Easy to ID, easy to avoid. I agree with Artificial Intelligence, I don't see this as a major issue needing attention.

Shay Stephens
September 19th, 2006, 04:55 PM
After we get rid of the smilies, exclamation points, and caps. I suggest we go the next step and start enforcing further simplifications of the english language itself. Behold the glorious future that awaits us:

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling, by Mark Twain:

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later.

Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.

Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

Dinerty
September 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Probaly the greatest smiley known to man > \\:D/

Not seen many people going mad with the smileys to be honest, half the time I don't even notice them

BWF89
September 20th, 2006, 12:26 AM
@Shay Stephens: Nice quote of Abe Simpson, and in the age where how to talk leet speek in txt messages is printed on the back of cerial boxes (see Recees Puffs cerial) Mark Twain's article hits a little closer to home in the year 2006 than I'm sure it did in 1910.