PDA

View Full Version : Accessing a terminal window via SSh

tobaccoman
September 16th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Good morning!

First of all please note that I'm a total beginner!

I have an application that I launch via command line (./xyz) and which gives me the results in the same terminal window

This application should and is running continuously.

Now I want to see via an SSH session whether it is working ok (from a remote PC) and restart it if required

Which command line should I type in SSH to see the same terminal window?

Thanks!

Daniel

mitch.c
September 16th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Which command line should I type in SSH to see the same terminal window?

If you just want to know if the process is running you could use ps to check the process name:

ps ax | grep programname

Now I want to see via an SSH session whether it is working ok (from a remote PC) and restart it if required
If you need to actually the program and it's output, I would suggest screen. It's a "terminal multiplexer" that will let you actually attach to a current session right where you left off. It is one of my "can't live without" programs. It is already installed in ubuntu. Here's a few handy commands:

screen #starts new session
screen -dRR #starts screen and attaches to already running session
<Ctrl>a c #creates new window... like a session within a session
<Ctrl>a p #switch to previous window
<Ctrl>a d #detach session... return to terminal, screen keeps running
I was a Gentoo user and used to start compiles in a screen window, monitor the window for silence <Ctrl>a _ (that way I knew when it was done), all while working in another screen window. It's the coolest thing.

Here's a link to a pretty good intro/tutorial: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/9/16838/14935

Try it!

kidders
September 16th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Hi Daniel,

Afaik that is (quite deliberately) impossible to do. There are some more indirect solutions though.

1. Use the ps command to see if your utility is still running.

2. Install screen, a tool that, among other things, allows you to detach and re-attach terminals.

Edit: Whoops! Mitch's post is far nicer anyhow!