PDA

View Full Version : how do i program?

Bunto0
September 16th, 2006, 05:03 AM
hey guys,

i know a bit of c++ and i'm tryign to get back into it. but i don't know where ubuntu's tools are. Namely, how do i compile a c++ or c program, is there a debugger, and are there any sort of "weird things" that i need to know about.

just think of me as a noob programmer who knows pointers, linked lists, etc.

maybe someday i can program something for ubuntu :)

thanks in advance,

Bun2

Christopher Cook
September 16th, 2006, 06:23 AM
C++ requires ALOT of useless coding. You need to work too much. I use python, and can make highly advanced programs, just as advanced as in C/C++. My advice would be to go with Python and ditch C/C++.

rekahsoft
September 17th, 2006, 02:02 AM
To answer your original question you use g++ to compile C++ apps. As for a debugger you will have to go out and take a look.

JuliaChang
September 17th, 2006, 07:11 PM
gcc or g++ can be used to compile C++ programs. I would start with a simpler language like Python, or Perl before learning C++ if you're new.

greeklegend
October 7th, 2006, 10:51 AM
gdb is teh command line debugger. That's in the repos somewhere
Insight is a gui for gdb. That's in the universe section
Just make sure you compile with debugging symbols (g++ -g i think)

hey_ian
October 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM
hey guys,

i know a bit of c++ and i'm tryign to get back into it. but i don't know where ubuntu's tools are. Namely, how do i compile a c++ or c program, is there a debugger, and are there any sort of "weird things" that i need to know about.

just think of me as a noob programmer who knows pointers, linked lists, etc.

maybe someday i can program something for ubuntu :)

thanks in advance,

Bun2
Ok to answer your question you should use KDevelop. It is in my opinion the best solution for GNU/Linux. In Kdevelop all the GCC tools are combined with a graphical interface, which makes software developing as easy as with MSVS 2005. If you are using Ubuntu you could also use Anjuta, it is a little bit worser but looks better with GNOME.

apt-get install kdevelop
This only works if the universe channel is enabled.