PDA

View Full Version : Should I watch L.A. Confidential tonight?

lwr
September 15th, 2006, 08:39 PM
L.A. Confidential's on TV tonight - do the good people on the Ubuntu forums think I should watch it? I can't decide. If anyone's seen it could they tell me what the content's like - I'm not really keen on watching stuff with a lot of sexual scenes or nudity. The other option's Meet Jo Black, but I've seen that before. Thanks for your help.

ComplexNumber
September 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM
L.A. Confidential's on TV tonight - do the good people on the Ubuntu forums think I should watch it? I can't decide. If anyone's seen it could they tell me what the content's like - I'm not really keen on watching stuff with a lot of sexual scenes or nudity. The other option's Meet Jo Black, but I've seen that before. Thanks for your help.
from what i remember, it got a few glowing reviews when it was released, but i didn't think much of it.....but its been a while since i saw it.
read about it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Confidential).

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 08:50 PM
in a word: Yes.

But if and only if you dig film noir

ComplexNumber
September 15th, 2006, 08:51 PM
is that another term for arty-farty crap? ;). its probably why i didn't like it.

lwr
September 15th, 2006, 09:01 PM
in a word: Yes.

I had to wikipedia film noir to check what it was, but it seems like my sort of stuff. I'm off to watch it then. Thanks for your help.

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I had to wikipedia film noir to check what it was, but it seems like my sort of stuff. I'm off to watch it then. Thanks for your help.
this was the easiest support thread I've been on all day.

bruce89
September 15th, 2006, 09:06 PM
My dad says that somebody he knows says it is good.

lwr
September 15th, 2006, 11:30 PM
What a great film! Definitely worth watching. Thanks again for your help.

Zyzzyx
September 16th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Hmm... might have to add that one to my NetFlix list.

I've got The Boondock Saints in the DVD player ready for this evening. Either that, or Sin City, if I can find it.

mips
September 16th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I've got The Boondock Saints in the DVD player ready for this evening....

Good movie ;)

Spacecaptain
September 16th, 2006, 10:10 PM
in the same series of LA Confidential, there's The Black Daliah on th escreens now. It's from the same write, James Ellroy, his first book actually. I love both his books and the adaptation of LA Confidential. did anybody see The Black Daliah? Does it keep up with the other one?

Boondock Saints: great movie, big fun!
Sin City also, and so true to the comic book.

atrus123
September 17th, 2006, 01:05 AM
L.A. Confidential is a really good film, especially if you have any interest in noir as a genre.

Back in college, I used to spend a bunch of time watching noir and reading hardboiled detective fiction. L.A.C. definately fits the mold. I'd like to read Elroy's novel at some point as well.

For those who like the genre, I recommend:

(films) Maltese Falcon, Laura, A Touch of Evil, Bladerunner, Brick

(books) Red Harvest & Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett, the Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith, The Postman always Rings Twice - James Cain, most stuff by Raymond Chandler

Oh, and just to alert you all, the film Black Dahlia, also based on an Elroy novel, is getting really bad reviews. This looks like one to miss.

Spacecaptain
September 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Hmmm.. Black Daliah getting bad reviews? i will have to lower my expectations then, but i will see it anyway.

In the Noir series with a humor twist, i recommend Lucky Number Slevin