PDA

View Full Version : Please fix the forum search function

woodlandjustin
September 12th, 2006, 06:20 AM
When I have posted several posts and want to check if any of them have ben replied to, I go to advanced search and search for my username. That gives all the threads I made, and when the last reply was. If I repeat that search for example 10 minutes later, it gives the same search result that was "generated 10 minutes ago". And so on. For example:
" Search took 0.08 seconds; generated 25 minute(s) ago."
This goes on and on. I can alternatively click on my username to see my profile and click on "Find all threads started by this user" but repeating this search later gives the same consequence.

Shouldn't we be able to do new searches, for what is happening now? So I can check if anyone is responding to my posts?
Justin

daller
September 12th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Well, 94 posts without knowing "User CP" ???

You don't have to search for your posts!

Go to "User CP" - http://ubuntuforums.org/usercp.php

There you'll see replies!

If you wanna see all your posts, go to "List subscribtions" - http://ubuntuforums.org/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

All the links are showed to the left...

woodlandjustin
September 12th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Well, 94 posts without knowing "User CP" ???

You don't have to search for your posts!

Go to "User CP" - http://ubuntuforums.org/usercp.php

There you'll see replies!

If you wanna see all your posts, go to "List subscribtions" - http://ubuntuforums.org/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

All the links are showed to the left...

?? There's nothing there at all. Still wish the search function was functional.

matthew
September 12th, 2006, 08:14 AM
daller's suggestion works if you automatically subscribe to threads when you post (a setting somewhere in UserCP controls this...I think it is set NOT to subscribe by default). There is an easy way for anyone to find all their posts (and someone else's as well).

Here in this thread, look for a post that you made and left click on your user name in the header. From the pop up menu choose "View Public Profile." This will take you to a page that anyone can see about you (or whatever user you are looking at). You may want to bookmark yours for convenience. On this page, at the middle left is a box labeled "posts" that has a link in it titled "Find all posts by <username>". If you click it you will get a list of your posts.

Enjoy.

daller
September 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Sounds weird!

http://ubuntuforums.org/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

Should hold all thread you are involved in!

matthew
September 12th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Sounds weird!

http://ubuntuforums.org/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

Should hold all thread you are involved in!It will depending on the setting found here:

UserCP->Edit Options->Messaging and Notifications...Default Thread Subscription Mode

This needs to be set to something other than "Do not subscribe" for your method to work.

daller
September 12th, 2006, 08:58 AM
But that's default, isn't it?

coffeecat
September 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM
For the OP: The simplest way I've found is to go to 'Search', and then 'Find All Your Posts' at the very bottom of the drop-down menu. Two clicks. Seems to do a new search each time.

Edit: Just checked. It does indeed. :) This post was added.

woodlandjustin
September 12th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Here in this thread, look for a post that you made and left click on your user name in the header. From the pop up menu choose "View Public Profile." This will take you to a page that anyone can see about you (or whatever user you are looking at). You may want to bookmark yours for convenience. On this page, at the middle left is a box labeled "posts" that has a link in it titled "Find all posts by <username>". If you click it you will get a list of your posts.

Enjoy.

My previous post:

[...]
And so on. For example:
" Search took 0.08 seconds; generated 25 minute(s) ago."
This goes on and on. I can alternatively click on my username to see my profile and click on "Find all threads started by this user" but repeating this search later gives the same consequence.
Justin

woodlandjustin
September 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM
For the OP: The simplest way I've found is to go to 'Search', and then 'Find All Your Posts' at the very bottom of the drop-down menu. Two clicks. Seems to do a new search each time.

Ah great! Something that works! Thanks for that!
Unfortunately I had never seen it because when the page is in the normal position, the search menu extends off the page! So it only read up to the option "1 day". So I never noticed those other options. I would think that it would be a better design if the menu didn't disappear off the page. I have to go back and scroll the whole page down before I hit the search option, to make sure there is space to see it :(

Plus, I do think it would be an improvement to fix the malfunction of searching I already mentioned:)

Anyway at least I have found an option that works. Thanks!
Justin

P.S. I am using Firefox in Dapper

coffeecat
September 12th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I would think that it would be a better design if the menu didn't disappear off the page. I have to go back and scroll the whole page down before I hit the search option, to make sure there is space to see it :(

Or you could get a bigger monitor with a vertical reolution of more than 768. :wink:

woodlandjustin
September 12th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Or you could get a bigger monitor with a vertical reolution of more than 768. :wink:

Is my screen unusual? Toshiba laptop.
For example, on the page which says:

vBulletin Message

This forum requires that you wait 15 seconds between searches. Please try again in 12 seconds.

it is actually impossible to get those search options, because the page is not long enough to require scrolling down. So those search options just won't fit on.

woodlandjustin
September 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Damn, thought that one worked but it has exactly the same problem!!!

Search: Threads Started By: woodlandjustin
Showing results 1 to 25 of 30
Search took 5.10 seconds; generated 43 minute(s) ago.

coffeecat
September 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Damn, thought that one worked but it has exactly the same problem!!!

That's interesting. I've just posted a reply on another thread and then went to Search > Find All You Posts and it generated a new search including the new post. I wonder if there's something in your User CP set up differently.

As far as monitor size goes, I see the same as you on my Sony laptop with a vertical screen resolution of 800, but on my desktop with 1280x1024 monitor I can see the whole of the dropdown menu. I doubt whether your Toshiba screen is unusual. It probably has a vertical screen resolution of 800 or less. If you can find an affordable laptop with a larger screen resolution, please tell me so that I can buy myself one. :wink:

matthew
September 12th, 2006, 02:23 PM
But that's default, isn't it?I have to confess I don't know. It didn't used to be the default, but the last time I was sure of that was two forum software upgrades ago so perhaps it is the default now...