PDA

View Full Version : financial infomation on Canonical

wpshooter
September 8th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Is there publicly published financial information on Canonical, so that a person could do an analysis of their (Canonical's) ability to continue to properly bring Ubuntu/linux into the mainstream O/S arena ?

Thanks.

earobinson
September 8th, 2006, 06:07 PM
no clue, i doubt it but iy would be intresting to see. I know mark gave ubuntu "enoughf money for our lifetime"

KiwiNZ
September 8th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Visit the Canonical site .But as they are not a public listed Corporation they do not need to publicise this information,

az
September 10th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Is there publicly published financial information on Canonical, so that a person could do an analysis of their (Canonical's) ability to continue to properly bring Ubuntu/linux into the mainstream O/S arena ?

Thanks.

http://www.canonical.com/news/UbuntuFoundation

You want to know if there is some substantial guarantee that Ubuntu will continue to exist if the current financial backing goes away? That's what the Ubuntu Foundation is for.

wpshooter
September 19th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Don't get me wrong, I sure appreciate that a foundation has been set up BUT a $10 million dollar fund could be gobbled up fairly swiftly in todays economy. When you are talking about current and future funding for a major O/S that "MAY" become a challenger to M/S, I would not say that $10M is going to be sufficient to accomplish that task.

Thanks.

aysiu
September 19th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Ubuntu has commercial contracts with businesses and governments and offers paid support. I don't know how many clients they have at this point, but that is one source of income.

A couple of quotations from Ubuntu heads for the mainstream (http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/07/25/ubuntu_goes_mainstream/):
In May, Ubuntu inked its first major server deal. Sun announced a deal with Shuttleworth's company, Canonical, that would make Ubuntu the only OS (other than Solaris) to be supported on Sun's UltraSPARC T1 processor chip.
Of course, Ubuntu does have one corporate user. A very high profile one, in fact Google. So what about Goobuntu, the mysterious Linux distribution based on Ubuntu, currently spotted only inside the Googleplex?

"Goobuntu is simply their internal desktop platform. Obviously Linux makes sense for them. Their developers love it, they have plenty of expertise to manage it, and Goobuntu is the chosen platform for their developers. But there is a big difference between that and working on something that you are going to productise and ship out to the world," says Shuttleworth.

It probably wouldn't hurt if people stopped ordering free CDs to chop up with an axe...

wpshooter
September 19th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Yes, you know I sort of agree about the ship CDs.

I am not sure that that is really money wisely spent.

Most of the time these CDs are going to be almost antiquated by the time you receive them and I believe that a more efficient way to get the word out about Ubuntu to friends, etc. is just to mail them the main and forum Ubuntu web links or by just good old word of mouth.

aysiu
September 19th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I think the free CDs were a marketing ploy, and I think it worked.

At this point, though, that money should probably be pushed into development or other marketing campaigns.

Of course, if they stop the ShipIt program any time soon, they'll get a lot of negative press...

nutznboltz
June 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.canonical.com/news/UbuntuFoundation

That page was moved here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/UbuntuFoundation

Joeb454
June 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
With regards to the free CD's - shipit used to send 5 CD's out as default, now they send a single CD. So they have already done some cost cutting :)

x684867
March 5th, 2011, 02:38 AM
This information would help Systems Administrators and Directors of Information Technology evaluate the health of Canonical when considering long-term IT strategy.

I honestly am not concerned about dollar valuations, but more about the ratio of income to expense and the organization's long-term plans. After all, a profitable Canonical is an easier sell to executives when asking them to ditch Red Hat, Novell or Microsoft.

--Sam

KiwiNZ
March 5th, 2011, 03:04 AM
That is something the Canonical Sales Executives would have to discuss with any potential client.

mips
March 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM
This information would help Systems Administrators and Directors of Information Technology evaluate the health of Canonical when considering long-term IT strategy.

I honestly am not concerned about dollar valuations, but more about the ratio of income to expense and the organization's long-term plans. After all, a profitable Canonical is an easier sell to executives when asking them to ditch Red Hat, Novell or Microsoft.

--Sam

I don't know of any privately held company that does this.
Publicly listed companies however are required to do so by law as it is in the interest of the public to know the financials of the company they might invest in. This way you can discover for yourself if everything is sound and not fraud ala Enron etc.