PDA

View Full Version : Another vBulletin Whinge

darrenm
September 7th, 2006, 02:10 PM
As the server is obviously being battered to death by the amount of traffic and the admins are waiting for new beefier server surely it now shows that phpBB with its lighter load should be used.

Now is the ideal time to switch over as phpBB3 is in testing. I always questioned the use of a commercial non-free product on the official forums for Ubuntu so would it be a good time to at least test phpBB3?

panickedthumb
September 7th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Putting this board on a TESTING product is a very bad idea. It may load faster, but we'd have to give up stability and that's just something we can't do.

Furthermore, even in phpbb3, there are many things we need that we couldn't do.

Also, I refer you to this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=176622

darrenm
September 7th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks, saw the thread previously ;)

Just not sure of the things that are needed that phpBB wouldn't provide.

panickedthumb
September 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
well, subforums for one :) I was recently setting up a phpbb forum and trying to add subforums. Apparently the only way to do that is to install a mod for them, and the mod requires about 2 hours of manual hacking to get it to install, and after I was done, it still didn't work.

There's also the warnings/infractions system offered by vBulletin that we use. The only other place I've seen that is SMF, and it's nowhere near as good there.

We also have the built-in forum gallery that I haven't seen anywhere else. vBulletin's feed aggregation is very good, though we have been having problems out of it lately.

Some of these things may be offered with phpBB3, but using beta code on a forum this size is just asking for trouble.

And my apologies if I sounded short with you earlier, I had just gotten up :)

darrenm
September 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM
well, subforums for one :) I was recently setting up a phpbb forum and trying to add subforums. Apparently the only way to do that is to install a mod for them, and the mod requires about 2 hours of manual hacking to get it to install, and after I was done, it still didn't work.

There's also the warnings/infractions system offered by vBulletin that we use. The only other place I've seen that is SMF, and it's nowhere near as good there.

We also have the built-in forum gallery that I haven't seen anywhere else. vBulletin's feed aggregation is very good, though we have been having problems out of it lately.

Some of these things may be offered with phpBB3, but using beta code on a forum this size is just asking for trouble.

And my apologies if I sounded short with you earlier, I had just gotten up :)
Subforums are built into phpBB3 by default and do seem to be work very well.

Also the warnings/infractions are excellent in phpBB3

Yes I completely agree its not worth trying beta code on a forum of this size and useage, I would certainly recommend trying phpBB3 yourself though.

Oh and you certainly didnt sound short, thanks for the courteous reply :)