PDA

View Full Version : Separating root privileges and filter admin. Help?

drewu
September 6th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I have just installed Ubuntu CE and wonder if it would be possible to separate root privileges (installing software, configuring stuff) and filter admin (what gets blocked) with two separate passwords (or acounts). I would like to keep the filter untouchable to the root user and to the regular user. Any way to do this? The my goal is to set up a box that my son can explore safely without danger (oxymoron?).
Thanks for your time and help.
Edit:
I have also noticed that the defualt root password is blank or empty.
Also, every time I try to acess the button at System -> Administration -> Users and Groups, the root password is asked, and upon pressing [Ok] my computer continues to silently do nothing. What is up here?
Edit # 2:
Oops. figured out the second problem. Just being a hairbrained.](*,)

mysticrider92
September 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM
In Ubuntu the first account that you make is root and all others have regular non-root permissions and I don't think you can change this. One thing you could try is making a password protected folder and putting the filter configuration files in it. I am not sure how to add a password to a folder, but someone else may know. In Linux, you can do just about anything if you know what to edit, so it is possible.

drewu
September 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the tip.

btw- I like your signature

mysticrider92
September 7th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Any time. I wish I could help you more, but I can't think of anything else.

I got the text in my signature from someone's sig on the Playstation Underground forums. He had a picture to go with it.

mhancoc7
September 7th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I have just installed Ubuntu CE and wonder if it would be possible to separate root privileges (installing software, configuring stuff) and filter admin (what gets blocked) with two separate passwords (or acounts). I would like to keep the filter untouchable to the root user and to the regular user. Any way to do this? The my goal is to set up a box that my son can explore safely without danger (oxymoron?).
Thanks for your time and help.
Edit:
I have also noticed that the defualt root password is blank or empty.
Also, every time I try to acess the button at System -> Administration -> Users and Groups, the root password is asked, and upon pressing [Ok] my computer continues to silently do nothing. What is up here?
Edit # 2:
Oops. figured out the second problem. Just being a hairbrained.](*,)

Yeah, I don't think this is possible. There may be a workaround like the one mentioned above, but I am just not sure.
Thanks, Jereme

joegeek
July 8th, 2007, 06:37 PM
In Ubuntu the first account that you make is root and all others have regular non-root permissions and I don't think you can change this. One thing you could try is making a password protected folder and putting the filter configuration files in it. I am not sure how to add a password to a folder, but someone else may know. In Linux, you can do just about anything if you know what to edit, so it is possible.

So when I made the account "guest" during the install process, I accually made this guest account root?

mysticrider92
July 8th, 2007, 07:10 PM
So you named the first account 'Guest'? Then yes, it does have sudo/su privleges. I would make another account for guest and rename the first one you made.

TravMan63
August 9th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Yes - this is possible - but it's messy...

You will have to change permissions on home folders etc.

I did the same thing - set up 1st user as root, then demoted them - and placed new user as root. I don't have as much hair left anymore tho ...

You can read more about my misadventures here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491489

actually - it all turned out alright. It was just fun for a while...

>edit password protect
hmm - well - you can chmod to the folder in question - the root password would be needed then... unless you gave ownership to another user...
hmm - as long as your w/r/x permissions allowed you to use it (r I suppose) - then chmod should do it...
what's the chmod # ? depends on what exactly you want to do...

urukrama
August 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM
If you don't want the first account to have sudo privileges, change the settings in System > Administration > Users and Group (select the user and deselect administrative priviliges). It isn't very hard.

TravMan63
August 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I checked the repos for elive/debian - there are a couple of packages you might want to look into:

lockoutsecurity
and
lockedfile

TM