PDA

View Full Version : Wrote a new application: licensing issues

daou
September 4th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I wrote an application for the gnome desktop and I'm about to release it. I want to release it under the GPL license.
My question is in regard to sourceforge.net. They require the program to be licensed under OSI. If I release it in sourceforge.net and accept their OSI license, can I still license the program under GPL?

toojays
September 4th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Sourceforge want it licensed under a license which is approved by the OSI. The OSI approve of the GPL. So you can put your project on SF and have the GPL as your license. Many projects do that.

bieber
September 4th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah. OSI isn't a license, it's an organizations that "approves" "open source" licenses. Of course they've given the GPL the thumbs up. Regardless, though, you're free to release your software under as many different licenses as you want.

daou
September 5th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Ok, thanks. When I read through Sourceforge's OSI disclaimer, I (mis?)understood that it allowed the inclusion of open source under closed source distributions, whereas with GPL all later versions/distributions that include GPL source code must be open source.

ifokkema
September 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM
\\:D/ Congratulations on choosing GPL =D>
:grin:

Kurt`
September 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Make sure that you post what your application is about, too (eventually). :)