PDA

View Full Version : what about the NEW project

bfakefree
September 1st, 2006, 11:31 PM
Hi there

I'm not IT/programmer, but I've been thinking about this for a while now. Everybody is playing catch up or trying to live up to a bench mark, why not add something new to the benchmark, that will make Ubuntu unique.

This is just a suggestion, why don't UBUNTU start the NEW project with its own forum, everybody can sumbit an idea (and add to an idea) or even programs provided it is new in concept. Then Canonical guys can take the best ideas pay to get it done and implement it, with help from the community of course. I think you guys have thousands of memebers here, just imagine how many ideas can come through, you could even have a rating system where the most popular idea has to fight for top spot.

What I'm tlking about for example is world altering stuff we take for granted like the spreadsheet, I mean who came up with that, at the end of the day it is these little blocks with numbers in them linked to formulaes, (other examples are Google and yes Windows).

Ubuntu should strive to live up to the benchmark, but also add something new in concept, I'm a telecoms engineer, and I think the industry is opening up big time, with smart phones coming through and voice over IP. What about FREE calls to other UBUNTU users (this is not new, but there is loads of new software concepts that can spring from this with smart mobile phones etc etc like an evolving personal phone directory on the desktop)

With my rambling you get the idea

:-\"

3rdalbum
September 2nd, 2006, 06:30 AM
Free calls to other Ubuntu users: Already available through Ekiga. Or did you mean real telephone calls? (which, as you're aware, would be very costly to implement).

But in reply to the main thrust of your post, the Ubuntu People forum (which seems to be down at the moment) handles a lot of those kinds of ideas already.

bfakefree
September 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
I know my examples weren't exactly ground breaking stuff, I was more trying to push the idea of something new, earth shattering stuff that would take the world by storm and make Ubuntu stand out, instead of boring catch up game.

I didn't know about this other forum you mentioned, I'm looking forward to reading threads there, thanks for the reply.