PDA

View Full Version : Reputation System

justin whitaker
September 1st, 2006, 04:55 PM
I did a forum search, and didn't see anything about it...so I'll ask: did you guys and gals ever look at reputation systems for vBulletin?

We use a rep system over at Tactical Gamer that might go well here: it tends to enforce helpful posts and tone, while giving community acknowledgement to people that play by the rules.

The one downside is that it can be gamed...there could be "reputation inflation".

Just a thought....

matthew
September 1st, 2006, 05:01 PM
Actually, we used to use one but stopped about a year ago for a number of reasons, reputation inflation being a minor one. The experience here was that the reputation system was either ignored or unknown to most users and therefore not useful (and with current bandwidth concerns, it's just one more thing we can safely turn off). There was also some concern about it being a little bit of a popularity contest, but I seem to recall that also being only a minor part of the decision.

Anonii
September 1st, 2006, 05:02 PM
You forgot to mention e-pinus contests, and a**licking to obtain rep points <:

justin whitaker
September 1st, 2006, 05:04 PM
Actually, we used to use one but stopped about a year ago for a number of reasons, reputation inflation being a minor one. The experience here was that the reputation system was either ignored or unknown to most users and therefore not useful (and with current bandwidth concerns, it's just one more thing we can safely turn off). There was also some concern about it being a little bit of a popularity contest, but I seem to recall that also being only a minor part of the decision.

Ok, that makes sense.