PDA

View Full Version : SimCity 3000 UK Edition through Wine

Rhapsody
September 1st, 2006, 09:50 AM
I've recently gained hopes of playing SimCity 3000 UK Edition (one of my top 10 all time favourites) but a certain entry (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=4046) in the Wine Application DB has bought my hopes down somewhat as it appears to use Safedisc (which doesn't work in Wine) and requires a no-CD patch (which may not exist, but I can likely find it myself if it does).

Has anyone got experience of getting this specific version of SimCity 3000 working under Wine, or am I going to have to wait until Safedisc works? I could of course get the Linux version, but I don't want to buy the same game twice, and it's not as if a purchase would help Loki Games now.

leech
September 1st, 2006, 04:28 PM
No, but the purchase would help Tuxgames or whoever you bought it from. What's different about the UK version?

Leech

Rhapsody
September 2nd, 2006, 01:23 AM
No, but the purchase would help Tuxgames or whoever you bought it from. What's different about the UK version?
Nothing much, just a few extra UK landmarks. I just feel that it's stupid that I need to buy the same game twice just because the original has copy prevention software on it. I mean, I'm not even trying to copy it! I just want to play the stupid thing!

leech
September 2nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
I usually look at it this way. There are different publishers for the Windows and Linux version. Much like if you were to buy a classic book in English, then later want the Spanish version as well.

Leech

TronBoRG
July 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Message me if you need help with this still (although it was 2 years ago you needed help!)