PDA

View Full Version : My Experiances Windows To Linux

McScruff
April 8th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I wasn't sure where to post it, so i posted here.

As a windows users sinse windows 3.11 i have never looked away from it through to winxp but about 3 months ago i got a knoppix live cd and played with that and i liked this but it still didnt beat windows. A month on i got bored of windows and decided to try something new and remembered the cd, and then i looked into other distros. i found that mandrake or suse would suit me well so i grabbed a suse 9.1 live cd and fell inlove withit. Within 24 hours i was running suse 9.1 personal. But this lacked what i needed so i soon got suse 9.2 pro. I thought this was the perfect distro for me, it had everything i needed and i could add what ever i needed.

But again after a month i found things i couldn't do, so i went distro hunting, set vmware up and had a play. First stop i thought i would go pro with gentoo. failed straight away, i have no idea how to install, no nice gui. This left me with a few distros that would suit me

Suse still
Libranet
Mandrake
and a few other i cant remember

i didnt do mandrake bause it was 3 cd's could be bothered to wait

i tried libranet, worked great, i installed it as my main os, bye bye suse. Worst mistake i ever made. The Distro was awful, couldnt install anything, couldn't get to grip with it. Then i remembered this distro which a mate has been sayin how good it is. Downloaded burnt. It Does Everything

The Install - 7/10 Nice And Easy. simple but it dont look very nice
The Desktop- gnome as default - comeing from windows i dont like gnome at all 3/10 please remember this is personal preference
KDE - read the forums and got kde installed. The KDE doesn't look as nice as suse one but still beautiful (im sure i can play with it to make it nicer) 9/10

Packet manager - Installing apps is so easy, which i needed. The only thing i have had trouble with was KVirc the latest one, but after about 20 mins of tinkering it works 8/10
Performance - not had one problem, no ram problems 9/10

Overall 9/10

If Your a windows user with no knowledge of linux i recommend a live cd first, then this as your first distro, the people in the irc chan are a great help too.

orion_114
April 9th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Glad to see another satisfied ubuntu user !!!
Welcome to the comuninty !!!!

brickbat
April 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM
hi, i did the whole suse mandrake gentoo thing as well! my max use was 2 days of mandrake.

i've been using ubuntu for about a week and going strong.

As an xp user, i like gnomr. its clean and functional and stays out of my face.

the only real problems for me are;

1. my canon mp780 multi printer/snanner/fax has NO drvers but i contacted turboprint and they told me the will be issuing a printer driver for it but scanning has no solution in sight.

2. i miss my britannica encyclopedia and exford dixtionary.

i emailed all three suppliers and told them that i will no longer be buying their products unless they are available in linux.

ciao
bb

zenwhen
April 9th, 2005, 02:24 PM
It is good to see more converts to Linux from Windows coming with this new release. I think all the hard work that was put into making things easier for people who are accustomed to doing things in a gui has really paid off.

I was a Slackware guy before I came to Ubuntu and I remember the days of getting xorg from some shady italian ftp site, typing "installpkg x11*", and praying. I remember when every configuration involved a trip to /etc.

Now new users can use GUI tools to configure samba, and a couple simple terminal commands to install their Nvidia drivers. New users are offered installs configured to be either a wonderful KDE desktop or a wonderful GNOME desktop.

Ubuntu has a group of PAID devs working to make sure Ubuntu is everything it can be for the new to Linux desktop user. I think it is paying off.

nharihar
April 9th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I wasn't sure where to post it, so i posted here.

As a windows users sinse windows 3.11 i have never looked away from it through to winxp but about 3 months ago i got a knoppix live cd and played with that and i liked this but it still didnt beat windows. A month on i got bored of windows and decided to try something new and remembered the cd, and then i looked into other distros. i found that mandrake or suse would suit me well so i grabbed a suse 9.1 live cd and fell inlove withit. Within 24 hours i was running suse 9.1 personal. But this lacked what i needed so i soon got suse 9.2 pro. I thought this was the perfect distro for me, it had everything i needed and i could add what ever i needed.

But again after a month i found things i couldn't do, so i went distro hunting, set vmware up and had a play. First stop i thought i would go pro with gentoo. failed straight away, i have no idea how to install, no nice gui. This left me with a few distros that would suit me

Suse still
Libranet
Mandrake
and a few other i cant remember

i didnt do mandrake bause it was 3 cd's could be bothered to wait

i tried libranet, worked great, i installed it as my main os, bye bye suse. Worst mistake i ever made. The Distro was awful, couldnt install anything, couldn't get to grip with it. Then i remembered this distro which a mate has been sayin how good it is. Downloaded burnt. It Does Everything

The Install - 7/10 Nice And Easy. simple but it dont look very nice
The Desktop- gnome as default - comeing from windows i dont like gnome at all 3/10 please remember this is personal preference
KDE - read the forums and got kde installed. The KDE doesn't look as nice as suse one but still beautiful (im sure i can play with it to make it nicer) 9/10

Packet manager - Installing apps is so easy, which i needed. The only thing i have had trouble with was KVirc the latest one, but after about 20 mins of tinkering it works 8/10
Performance - not had one problem, no ram problems 9/10

Overall 9/10

If Your a windows user with no knowledge of linux i recommend a live cd first, then this as your first distro, the people in the irc chan are a great help too.
i did that distro jumping too. Though I was required to as a Sys Admin. Started my journey with Slackware 3.5, now I have settled for Ubuntu, works like a charm on my Inspiron 8100. Yup glad to see another Ubuntu User, welcome home :)

professor_chaos
April 10th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Yep, pretty much the same story here.
Was a Windows user and got tired. Tired of feeling like a tether ball and getting wacked around.
Forced to use Macs for 3 years, and the experience was different from WIN. Didn't feel wacked around, but a bit imprisoned.

Googled Linux one day and theres no turning back. Used RH, Fedora, Suse 9.1 and 9.2 and then Mandrake before Ubuntu.

Ubuntu recognized all my hardware and installation of new software is a breeze. Using "alien" I can even install old RPM's lying around without problems. Ubuntu is faster, easier to configure, 100% free, and "sudo" it a great change from "su".

The only thing I still can't get working is vpn. But that due to my ignorance.

The only freedom in life, is the ability to make a choice. Linux is freedom.... Be free..

void_false
April 10th, 2005, 02:42 PM
"sudo" it a great change from "su".
Still cant live without "su" :wink:

BWF89
April 10th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Googled Linux one day and theres no turning back. Used RH, Fedora, Suse 9.1 and 9.2 and then Mandrake before Ubuntu.
Why do so many Linux users go through so many COMMERCIAL distros. They each cost from $80 - $100 USD a pop. Don't you guys resherch a distro extencively before you decide to get one?

Buffalo Soldier
April 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Why do so many Linux users go through so many COMMERCIAL distros. They each cost from $80 - $100 USD a pop. Don't you guys resherch a distro extencively before you decide to get one?
Research sometimes can give you quite a lot of details. But the best way to judge something is to try it and experience it (maybe 1-2 weeks or more). That is something even an extensive reading of review can't beat.

Also most commercial distro has a free version/variant.

kassetra
April 10th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Some things you should consider:

1. Commercial brands are WELL KNOWN.
2. Most commercial brands also have free versions, especially for home use.
3. Finding a distro that "fits" your needs is somewhat trial and error, simply because while yes, you can do extensive research and find out all about that distro, and yes, it may even fit your needs on paper (or screen) - there is simply no substitute for actually using it. Debian, Red Hat (Fedora) and SuSE all seem to fit my needs during researching them - but in reality, none of them fit my needs as far as my experience went.

Brunellus
April 10th, 2005, 06:08 PM

I went for SuSE because it was cheap and at hand. I didn't have access to a cd burner, so I couldn't just download and burn isos.

If there were as many ubuntu CDs as AOL CDs, I might not have ever gone for suse!

panickedthumb
April 10th, 2005, 06:11 PM
All of those mentioned are free to download (RedHat WAS at one time, and based on the progression, it appears the user was talking about the pre-fedora RedHat, when it was free).
Maybe YOU should have researched a that a little more before commenting about this.
And even if you DID have to pay for all of them-- some people would say that it is worth it for the support you get from the company, for the lack of having to download it and burn it, and the fact that it comes with a THICK instruction manual.

Also, as has been said, all of these are well known. When the KFC moves in next to Mom & Pop's Chicken House, KFC usually takes over because of brand recognition. So unless Mom & Pop do something outrageous or sell amazing chicken so that nobody ever wants to think about anything else, KFC is going to take over the market.