PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 2

priest15
August 29th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Is Battlefield 2 playable on linux?

crane
August 29th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Natively , no
I'm not real sure about running in Cedega though. Do a search for BF2 and cedega and see what you find.

notoriouslou1022
August 29th, 2006, 06:02 AM
I'v seen it on wine before but i'm not sure oh well it runs. It looked pretty good tho to me.

justin whitaker
August 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Is Battlefield 2 playable on linux?

Yes, although its not officially supported by Cedega.

Here is the deal: the game runs, plays as well or better than on XP, but since punkbuster updates in BF2 are not supported, you won't hear them telling you it's a supported title.

You can manually update Punkbuster, and thus far, I have not been autokicked/banned, but YMMV.

System: Emachines 6212, Nvidia 6600, 1gb ram, Ubuntu, Cedega.
Server tried: Tactical Gamer BF2 #1.

jhyland87
March 31st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Old thread.. sorry for the bump.

Im trying to install it via the download manager, and I keep getting errors..
anyone know how to install the download manager?

nebu
April 1st, 2008, 09:21 AM
it runs thru wine.... but the game freezes for a few seconds pretty frequently..... i dont know if the multiplayer wors or not... i just play singleplayer....

have a look at this...
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3438

bindkeeper
April 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
I can't even get the game to run.
The screen goes black like it loading something and the it throw me back to my desktop with resolution changed to 800x600.

It happened to me before when I tried to start linux games without my Nvidia drivers.

Ubuntu 7.4
WINE 0.9.58

samjh
April 5th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Like most 3D games, you need hardware 3D acceleration to play BF2. And that means you need to use your nVidia drivers for it.

The default XOrg driver does not support hardware 3D acceleration.

I'm going to install BF2 today using wine, after two years of absence. It should be an interesting experience to see if it works or not. :)

bindkeeper
April 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Like most 3D games, you need hardware 3D acceleration to play BF2. And that means you need to use your nVidia drivers for it.

The default XOrg driver does not support hardware 3D acceleration.

I'm going to install BF2 today using wine, after two years of absence. It should be an interesting experience to see if it works or not. :)

I do use my Nvidia drivers. I can play ETQW, natively on Linux.

agtownz
April 5th, 2008, 08:58 PM
The original version of BF2 that came with my Cd's runs fine, but as soon as I patch to 1.44, it crashes at about 61% when loading a map, Wine version 0.9.58.