PDA

View Full Version : No HTML support / anchor tags?

msak007
August 29th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I've searched for this but can't find the answer, so hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction. When posting a thread or response, I notice in the bottom left corner it says "HTML code is Off". Basically what I'm looking for is a way to put anchor tags around certain text so that I can link to it from within a post (a how-to with lots of steps, for example). I've looked at the VB Code options, and none of them do what I want. Is this possible in these forums without HTML?

panickedthumb
August 29th, 2006, 09:46 PM
yes, using BBCode.
wrapping brackets around "url" will get you what you need. Also you can edit in wysiwyg mode to have controls to do it for you.

msak007
August 30th, 2006, 12:11 AM
By "BBCode", are you referring to the "vB Code" options? If so then I already tried [url]...it only takes actual URLs as its target (such as www.ubuntuforums.org), and I didn't see a way of pointing it to a link within the post (no way to tag a specific part of the post and link to it). If I'm using the syntax incorrectly please explain it to me. I've also tried the [post] option, and that only works for the whole post. As far as editing mode, I am editing in WYSWIG mode -I've already enabled that to be my default.

panickedthumb
August 30th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Oh I see what you mean now. I missed your point earlier. I'm not sure if that's possible, but I do think it would be a good idea.

msak007
August 30th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Oh I see what you mean now. I missed your point earlier. I'm not sure if that's possible, but I do think it would be a good idea.
No problem, I may have not been clear enough in my original post so I apologize for that. It is possible, just not without HTML which is disabled :). It's not a huge deal, but it would make how-to threads easier to follow if there are mutliple methods for doing something or if you can skip to certain steps. They can be written so that you can put links within the post to jump to other parts of the post so users don't have to scroll through lots of text to find what they need. Just a suggestion, not sure if it's possible to turn HTML on or if you would want to for that one small feature.