View Full Version : I need step by step guide to uninstalling wine

August 28th, 2006, 03:22 AM
after installing wine I can't run any 3d games properly, I want to get rid of wine so i can play my regular linux games. Any other suggestions on how to fix my problem are welcome.

August 28th, 2006, 03:24 AM
I would recommend trying this:

sudo apt-get --purge remove wine

Then navigate to your ~/ and delete the .wine directory.

August 28th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Terminal says "package wine is not installed" if this matters I installed it on 64 bit Ubuntu using a guide I found on these forums.

August 28th, 2006, 03:50 AM
How did you install it? If it's an RPM you could just rpm -e <package name>. But the package name is the actual name of the package, with numbers and whatnot. Or if you did it through Synaptic, you could just uncheck it. I'm assuming you used a command of some sort?

If you used dpkg, you could type :
dpkg -r <package name>
Again, the package name has all the crazy numbers and stuff in it.

August 28th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I used this command "sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i wine_0.9.19~winehq1~ubuntu~6.06-2_i386.deb" to install it

August 28th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Can you tell me exactly what to type? I keep getting errors, the filename is wine_0.9.20~winehq0~ubuntu~6.06-1_i386.deb

August 28th, 2006, 04:19 AM

sudo dpkg -r wine_0.9.19~winehq1~ubuntu~6.06-2_i386.deb

One more thing, though, make sure when you type:

dpkg -l|grep wine

the packages listed match the syntax with what you're trying to remove.

August 28th, 2006, 04:21 AM
sorry i forgot to fix the command, i had to change it to match the file's actual name, the guide i used to install was outdated

I tried that command and changed it to my file's name and it terminal tells me "dpkg: you must specify packages by their own names, not by quoting the names of the files they come in" and lists these options for me
"Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages ;
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
Type dpkg --licence for copyright licence and lack of warranty (GNU GPL) ."

August 28th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Yeah, I just typed dpkg -l|grep wine for myself, and I get :

ii wine 0.9.20~winehq0~ubuntu~6.06-1 Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (Binar

So I would type:

sudo dpkg -r 0.9.20~winehq0~ubuntu~6.06-1

I'm a retard, try:

sudo dpkg -r wine

KISS, right? ;)

August 28th, 2006, 04:35 AM
You're the best, thanks for all of the help **gives lots of cookies** :D

August 28th, 2006, 04:37 AM
OMFG you're last edit worked, it removed wine and my games work properly now thank you so much!!

August 28th, 2006, 05:12 AM
No problem, I've been uninstalling/reinstalling various packages all day, so at least I can offer my help on something. Glad to hear you got everything working well. Cheers.

September 2nd, 2006, 06:30 AM
thanx from me too, was trying to do the same and that last command capped it.... thanx again =D>

September 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Awesome! My stupid wine install that I managed to FUBAR pretty badly this morning, is now gone, and I can start fresh. Thank you!

September 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I realised I have one more question. Since I want to start over completely with Wine, do I need to manually remove all the folders and files that were left behind (I can see them in the file browser), and how do I do that? Just delete them, or is that a bad thing to do?

Thanks again,

September 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM
The .wine folder in your home folder? Yup, I'd recommened deleting this one to start over.

April 10th, 2011, 02:17 AM
1 go to the applications tab
2. click ubuntu software center
3. go to installed software on the left
4. find wine(its on the bottom)
5.click wine then go to uninstall