PDA

View Full Version : Advice on best IDE and Debuging evironment for gtk, glade and Python

jsradley
April 7th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Hi,
Just for interest's sake, I've been trying to get System-Config-Display (the rpm from Fedorda). I have it compiling, and it runs without a core dump, but there is a problem in writing the output file after I press the OK button.

So I need a development and debugging environment, and as I'm new to the Ubuntu envirnment, wondered what people would recomend.

I will need to work with Python, gtk and glade. Preferably with onscreen debugging (breakpoints, single stepping etc - I'm ex Windows!!)

I could afford a commercial packages, such as WingWare, but would like to try the Open Source route first, if at all possible.

Thanks
John

sas
April 8th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Hi,
Just for interest's sake, I've been trying to get System-Config-Display (the rpm from Fedorda). I have it compiling, and it runs without a core dump, but there is a problem in writing the output file after I press the OK button.

So I need a development and debugging environment, and as I'm new to the Ubuntu envirnment, wondered what people would recomend.

I will need to work with Python, gtk and glade. Preferably with onscreen debugging (breakpoints, single stepping etc - I'm ex Windows!!)

I could afford a commercial packages, such as WingWare, but would like to try the Open Source route first, if at all possible.

Thanks
John
Python IDE summary (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonIde). iirc IDLE (the default IDE) supports break points.

eolo999
July 30th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Hi,

Thanks
John
I'm as new in programming as in linux, but...
I starte with eric and with an x terminal to test, eric is a non commercial app and it works quite good for me, but...
now i prefer working with kate advanced editor wich has a terminal tab at the bottom, so i can write code and test without changing window!
eolo

UbuWu
August 1st, 2005, 05:22 AM
I think WingIDE is one of the best currently available, but not open source. But, free licenses are available for non-commercial open source developers...

Oh, and eclipse with the python plugin is also great, but all just a little too overwhelming for my simple little python programs.

ichien
February 15th, 2007, 05:36 PM
There is an open source IDE for GTK and C called Enveria at http://sourceforge.net/projects/enveria. Perhaps it could be modified for Python instead of C.

edubarr
February 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM
There's another python IDE called pida (http://pida.co.uk/). It's on the repositories somewhere. I haven't used it but read good things about it.

felix.rommel
September 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Hi,
Just for interest's sake, I've been trying to get System-Config-Display (the rpm from Fedorda).

Did you have success running system-config-display under Ubuntu? If yes - can you post your package here?

Thanks.