PDA

View Full Version : Isn't Vista Really hypep up?

akshaysrinivasan
August 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Hello,
I was wondering,are there any OS lovers who have tried the vista beta?i haven't,but looking at the screenshots i must say vista is totally hyped up as the "next generation".for example ,the translucency in aero are present in KDE for a quite while now,and it works on modest configurations unlike vista.Except flip3d i don't find anything better in windows vista,i am sure we'll security loopholes in vista too.Besides it is expensive,...........

insane_alien
August 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM
i tried the vista beta once. think XP with some added eyecandy. its nothing to go OMGZ ITS DA R0XX0R!!!111oneone! about. ubuntu is miles ahead.

Rackerz
August 27th, 2006, 04:28 PM
It's not what it's cracked up to be. It's basically a bloated XP with some extra security and graphics. It's also a massive hog too, and that's all most users are going to see.

prizrak
August 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM
It is an MS made OS, of course it is overhyped. While XGL/Compiz is nice the real pioneer of the OpenGL desktop is Apple. I believe OS X had it from version 1.

MS usually calls anything new they put out innovative and the best thing since sliced bread because most people wouldn't know any better.

Klaidas
August 27th, 2006, 05:42 PM
its nothing to go OMGZ ITS DA R0XX0R!!!111oneone! about.

This works the other way too, if you get what I'm saying :)

atrus123
August 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM
It is an MS made OS, of course it is overhyped. While XGL/Compiz is nice the real pioneer of the OpenGL desktop is Apple. I believe OS X had it from version 1.

I wouldn't necessarily call Apple a "pioneer" when it comes to the 3d desktop. If I remember right, there were some open source projects which attempted this earlier (Metisse, maybe? - or did that come later?), but Apple just made it a bit more mainstream.

The Noble
August 27th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Vista Ran silky smooth on my desktop*, and looked quite nice. It is basically unusable due to so many problems in their switch. I have read that it will have some improvements, both in graphics and usability. DirectX10 will be ridden hard and will look amazing on amazing machines (basically 5 years from now), and MS has supposedly made IE7 a bigger competitor. The one thing that I really liked was how IE7 can be sand-boxed at will, as well as using a lot lower footprint.

*My Desktop:
3.05 Ghz P4
1 Gig Ram
256 Meg x700 Pro ATI
HDs, etc.

Also, if you know how to sandbox things in Linux, would you mind posting how? I think it is what x86_64 users have to do using chroot.

prizrak
August 28th, 2006, 05:00 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call Apple a "pioneer" when it comes to the 3d desktop. If I remember right, there were some open source projects which attempted this earlier (Metisse, maybe? - or did that come later?), but Apple just made it a bit more mainstream.

Hmm never heard of that project but Apple was definetly the first to succeed with creating a hardware accelerated desktop.