PDA

View Full Version : Why do people spend hours on ubuntuforums helping others?

apjone
August 25th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Hey ppl whats up, Why do people spend hours on ubuntuforums helping others? well my reason is that a lot of friendly people helped me out when I made the swap to linux and I just started to help others. It just seemed natural :cool: . I just thought It would be interesting to find out why others do it.

laterz!!

matthew
August 25th, 2006, 01:14 PM
When I first started using Ubuntu (and linux, for that matter) I found some people who were willing to go out of their way to help me. This was vital because I knew absolutely nothing. Out of gratitude I choose to do the same for others...not that I'm some sort of guru, but I try to share what I know.

tribaal
August 25th, 2006, 01:23 PM
The think that really made me choose Ubuntu over other distros (which I might be more familiar with), is this very forum. So I find it natural to help / hangout in there, it's what really makes this distribution so special.

- trib'

apjone
August 25th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I agree matthew, And that really is what open source in general is about and how it has survived.

Ziox
August 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I've never really thought about why I hang out here and help...No one actually helped me with Ubuntu or Linux at alll...I just experimented with different "things" and became familiar with Ubuntu...So I guess I just LOVE to help people...:)

visik7
August 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I don't spend hours on ubuntuforums
there is an rss I've it in my aggregator and when I found a topic that I can answer I do it.

apjone
August 26th, 2006, 11:58 AM
http://jones205.demon.co.uk/forum

az
August 26th, 2006, 12:42 PM
The Ubuntu OS stems from the pooled effort of those who contribute to the community. Probably the most effective eay to contribute back is to write code.

Not everyone can write code, though.

There are lots of other ways to give back to the community. Helping people on the forums is an easy way to do that.

Anyway, if everyone only wrote code and nobody cared about the user, Ubuntu would not have as many users as it does.

cstudent
August 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I do it because I learn more from helping. There are also several regulars that I enjoy reading their post. I also enjoy learning about how other people in the world live their lives.

kerry_s
August 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I cruz the forum to see what problems people are having and to see the fix if there is one. I help alot of people in my area convert to linux, so if they have a problem and call me hopefully i'll know how to fix there problem. I've been using linux for some time now but from time to time i learn something new from the forums that i never knew. :razz: I'm disabled so i really have nothing better to do anyway, so why not help if i can. ;)

jeffc313
August 26th, 2006, 03:04 PM
boredom...